BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

1987 bmw 325i: car ran..coil ,ck relays & found..crank sensor…

Customer Question
i have a 1987 bmw...
i have a 1987 bmw 325i , car ran will till battier when dead , replace battier ,car will not start now. ck for spark at plugs none , also no injecter pulse or power eight side of coil ,ck relays & found to that i think or bad , replace now i have power at both side of coil ,no spark or no injecter pulse , replace crank sensor ,no spark
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
12/3/2009
BMW Mechanic: AMEDEE, BMW TECHNICIAN replied 8 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, BMW TECHNICIAN

Hello!

I would recomend to check your timing belt to make sure it did not break. If the timing belt broke, you will not have any spark or fuel trigger.

Here are some pics.

graphicgraphic

If the timing belt checks out ok, I would recommend to check the main relay.

Tests/Procedures:

1. Locate the main relay attached to the left shock tower bracket. Remove the plastic cover, it is the only 5-pin relay there.

2. To test, use a voltmeter and measure the voltage output (on both terminals marked 87 and 87a) of the main relay. It must show battery voltage key on and 10 volts or greater during cranking.

3. If the voltage readings are below specifcations, trace the source of the voltage drop.

Potential Causes:

Battery Bus - Voltage drop from the fusible link near the battery in the trunk - this feeds the battery bus in the engine compartment.
Battery Bus - Voltage drop on battery bus firewall right side - this feeds power to the main relay.

Edited by AMEDEE on 12/3/2009 at 5:54 PM EST
i ck timing belt it in time , battery volts are ok to firewall , but terminals volts are low , with relay in key on relay no noise at relay , i also found fuel pump is not engaging , i think i have a motronic unit .

You very well might have a bad main relay.

Check to see if the coil and injectors are getting full battery voltage when cranking or with the key on. Let me know!

coil yes injecter no volts at all. where is main relay ?

Component Location On bracket in front of LH front shock tower

graphic

yes i ck that relay an it was bad , i replace it ,

SO it is bad?

So you are going to replace it?

Did you replace it already?

i did replace it , before i replace it ihad no power to + or- side of coil now i have power to coil but no injecter pulse no power to injecter all , replace crank s/w still no injecter pulse ck crank s/w by it self it works .
So we have plenty of spark but no power to the injectors?
no their is no spark , power to coil + an - no spark.also no fuel pump ,
yes

Ok...

Go to the main relay and find pin 87 and 87a. Measure voltage on these two wires coming our of the main relay while cranking. Let me know what you have.

OK .
pin 87 & 87a 2 volts when eng is turning, 12 volts at -& + terminals on coil no spark out of coil ,on injecter pulse, replace crank sensor , when turing engine over s/w is working, no fuel pump ,low volts is reason for no reaction at main relay.pos bad ecm?
So you only are getting two volts out of the main relay?
YES

Well, this is our problem!

Does the check engine light come on with the key in the on position?

Here is a TSB about this problem.

Engine Controls - Intermittent No Start, New Main Relay

GROUP 13 Fuel System
Bulletin Number 13 11 86 (1191) Page 1 of 1
Montvale, NJ October 1987 Technical Dept.
This Service Information Bulletin supersedes S.I. 13 11 86 (1191) dated April 1986. It lists a revised Defect Code.

Please remove and discard S.I. 13 11 86 (1191) dated April 1986 from your S.I. binder.

SUBJECT: DME Main Relay

MODELS: E23, E28 and E30 (325 only)

Complaint: Occasionally engine will not start (starter engages but no fuel delivery).

Correction: Install new DME main relay P/N 12 63 1 708 646.

GeneralInformation: Location of DME main relay is illustrated in the applicable Electrical Troubleshooting Manual under section "Component Locations".

.

Edited by AMEDEE on 12/4/2009 at 6:10 PM EST
oil relay ck bad , so replace with new , why volts drop on pin 87&87a
Most likely because the contacts inside the relay are bad causing a massive voltage drop. Just be sure that you have full battery voltage on pin 86 of the main relay and that the main relay is getting a good solid ground.
with main relay out car spining over 1.3 volts , relay is new , i'm at a lost if i'm missing say it.
Where are you measuring this 1.3 volts at? Pin 86 of the main relay?
yes
Well, this comes form the battery... it should be fused. You might just have a bad connection somwhere before the main relay. Hang on.... I am going to pull a wiring diagram for you.
thank you

Ok..

Sorry for the delay!

It looks like the main relay gets is power on a red wire straight from the battery. It connects to a black wire at the battery positive. You might just want to go straight to the battery positive and check all connections. Here is a wiring diagram.

graphic

i will get back with you later ,when are will you be around , by thanks

Well, I will be on line for another few hours. I will be off line during dinner but will be back on line later tonight. Even If I am off line, you can still respond back to me and I will get it and get back to you asap!

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, BMW TECHNICIAN