BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

1998 bmw 323i: bonnet and central lockings still working fine…

Customer Question
hi i have owned my...
hi i have owned my 1998 bmw 323i coupe for 5-6 months and it has no remote with it, alarms still under bonnet and central lockings still working fine just wonderd how i could get new remote for it, if you have any ideas i would be very greatfull thanks. anth
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: BMW
11/24/2009
BMW Mechanic: Kellie, BMW Technician replied 13 years ago
Kellie
Kellie, BMW Technician
HiCustomer

It shouldn't be too much trouble to get a new remote. You can order one through your nearest BMW dealership parts department if you give them the last 7 digits of your VIN. The remote will need to be initialized by following this procedure:

PREPARATION:

1. Close all doors, trunk, and hood.

2. The security system must be in “disarm” mode. The key must be removed from the ignition key slot.

ENTER CODE-LEARNING MODE:

3. Open the trunk and leave it opened.

4. Open the driver’s door and sit in the driver’s seat.

5. Close the driver’s door.

6. Cycle the ignition switch five times between the “OFF” position and position 2,(ignition “ON”, all dash warning lamps will illuminate). The red status LED will illuminate continuously, an the siren will ‘chirp’ once, to indicate that the code learning mode has been initiated.

DO NOT START ENGINE AT ANY TIME DURRING THIS PROCESS!!!

The ignition switch cycling in #6 must be performed within ten seconds.

The sequence in steps #1-#6 must be performed within 45 seconds.

REGISTER/DELETE ID CODE(S):

7. Open driver’s door, (remain seated in driver’s seat).

8. Close driver’s door.

9. Press and release any button on the remote you wish to register into the system, the status LED will shut of momentarily to indicate that one ID code has been registered.

10. Repeat steps 7 through 9 to register the remaining ID codes.

It is possible for system to memorize a total of four different ID codes. As a new code is initialized into memory, the oldest code in memory is automatically deleted. If you had lost your remotes and wished to delete the lost remote ID code from memory, you could initialize the ID code from a newly purchased replacement transmitter four times thereby deleting the previous ID codes from system memory.

EXITING CODE-LEARNING MODE:

11. Open driver’s door, and exit from vehicle leaving the door opened.

12. Close trunk.

13. Close driver’s door. The LED will turn off and the siren will ‘chirp’ twice.

14. The initialization procedure is now completed: test all remotes to confirm operation.
Kellie
Kellie, BMW Technician