BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

i have 2001 bmw 525i my remote key stopped working it wont

Customer Question
lock or unlock the doors...
i have 2001 bmw 525i my remote key stopped working it wont lock or unlock the doors. ive looked at all the fuses and all seem ok, i reprogrammed the key and still no luck.(locked and unlocked door by inserting key in door and stepped in the car closed all doors turned to position 1 and off and removed the key held unlock while hitting lock button 3 times. no luck with that. the fuses are ok because when i locked the doors the fuel door stays locked. so i bought a brand new remote key at the dealer and thought yea this will work fine. so i programmed it and still even the new one is not wroking either. what should i do.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
10/27/2009
BMW Mechanic: bimmaster, BMW Technician replied 8 years ago
bimmaster
bimmaster, BMW Technician
Hi, I would double check fuse 53, this fuse is known to blow due to a bad fuel door lock actuator. Its in the trunk on the right side above the battery.
If that fuse is blown, unplug the fuel door lock, and see if blows again.
the fuse is not blown ive checked more than 5 times even replaced but still no luck
Ok, do the locks work with the central locking button? does the button function normally, not sticking?
The door has to be closed for the central button work.
when i stick the key in the drivers door the lock and unlocked works fine it even makes the sound when locking and unlocking. when i program the key it does not do anything.
Ok i'll opt out and see if any other experts can help. They should respond automatically.
BMW Mechanic: Sam, BMW Master technician replied 8 years ago
Sam, BMW Master technician
Do you still need a hand with the door locks?
yes please i need help really badly

I have read the previous responses but want to be totally sure that the fuses in the rear fuse box above the battery are not blown. The fuel door lock actuator is a very common failiure and when it blows the fuse, the remote antenna loses it's power as well so the remote signal cannot be recieved.

ok ill check the fuses again. ok when i stick the key in the ignition (without turning the key) and leave the door open it makes the beeping noise saying the key is in the ignition, but when i take the key out it still makes the beeping noise, it suppossed to stop beepin but it wont stop, why is that.
The "key in ignition" warning won't have anything to do with the remotes. Mose than likely it's a sticking ignition switch or something is jammed in the lock housing.
ok just found out when you take the key out it still makes the beeping noise but it does stop after a while it does not go on for a long time, but any ways ill double check the fuses and see what happens thanks
Let me know what you find.
im still trying to figure out the problem i have had no luck at all im still looking
Sam, BMW Master technician