BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

How do I change the xenon headlight in my 2004 X5

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
10/7/2009
BMW Mechanic: bimmaster, BMW Technician replied 8 years ago
bimmaster
bimmaster, BMW Technician
Hi, do you just want to replace the bulb, or the whole headlight? Which side?
Just the bulb on the R side. The dealer sold me the bulb. It seems the xenon beam is stuck on 'high' and we're ticking off alot of the oncoming traffic. Does that make sense??
Well replacement of the bulb is not likely to fix this concern. Usually replacement of the bulb will fix a light that wont turn on. You may have an internal headlight issue. You have what is called bixenons. Which uses a shutter inside to block some of the light for low beam operation, when high beams are on it raises up the shutter for more light projected higher.
Your shutter in the light must be stuck. most of the time, the headlamp will have to be replaced for this type of issue.
WOuld that be covered under waranty??
Should I do replace the whole assembly myself or would you take it to the dealer
Yes, that, and the bulb is covered under warranty. There are no separate parts available for the inner workings of the xenon lamp other than the bulb and ancillaries.
Last question,
so to fix my problem I need to buy the whole headlight assembly?
THanks
That is the most likely issue. If the wiring is damaged, that could cause a problem as you described, but most likely the healamp has an internal fault and needs to be replaced.
A new bulb won't help unless the light doesnt work at all.
bimmaster
bimmaster, BMW Technician
bimmaster
bimmaster
bimmaster, BMW Technician