BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

335i: disconnected..car wont start and the wiper are woking..sedan…

Customer Question
we disconnected the battery of...
we disconnected the battery of the 335i and after reconnecting the car wont start and the wiper are woking by them selves how do we fix this?   2007 sedan 335i
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: BMW
7/5/2009
BMW Mechanic: Kenny, BMW Technician replied 13 years ago
Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
It sounds like you have bus problem, that is why the wipers are operating. As for the no start I am unsure they are on different bus systems. Have you done anything to the vehicle? Why was the battery disconnected? Sorry for all the questions I just need some info to help.
got a new battery so i changed it. what do u mean bus problems, why i put the key in only the nav section with the bmw sign comes on no light by the tachcometer and the wipers wont stop car wont start how do i fix this. Have u ever heard this before
There are many bussed signals in your vehicle, when the bussed signals fails all the modules go to default like the wipers keep working. To correct this you will need to have the vehicle brought to the dealer to have the faults cleared this might help the no-start. If the vehicle is covered under BMW warranty then any tow bill is covered by BMW.
hi remember the car was driving before and the wipers were not activated by themselves as is now. as i put in the key it says steering lock do not shut off car until u have reached a safe place car will not restart steering lock on
That is the warning you are getting. It sounds like your electronic steering column lock needs to be reset if it reoccurs then it needs to be replaced. That is definitely connected to the wipers. We see that fault all the time.
ok now we getting somewhere, how do i reset the steering column lock?

I am sorry to say this but it requires a BMW gt1tester to do this. Because it is a sub section of the CAS module that needs to be reset.