BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

do you know what the codes are for a 1990 bmw 325i .

do you know what...
7/3/2009
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician

Yes I have a listing of the codes. Which one/s do you need a description for?

Thanks,

JB

i took my battery out and lost the codes . i found the one for the raido but i do not have one for pc my car does not start.
I'm sorry I thought you were after the diagnostic error codes. I don't have the ones you are after. I will opt out for another expert to help.
ok that sounds good.

I put your question back in. Please do not reply to this message.

Relist: I still need help.
Adam
Adam, BMW Technician

I'm not sure what exactly you need so please be as specific as possible.

Why did you replace the battery?

What is wrong with the car now?

What "codes" do you need?

Why do you think the car won't start.....does it crank but not start....do you turn the key and nothing happens?

Does everything else electrical work?

ETC..................

I will do my best to assist and sorry for the delay!

Adam

when i took out the battery hooked it back up .the car started ok but when i set the code for the radio the car would not start .it did crank over. i need the other code for the security to unlock the computer so the car will start. thank you

It sounds like you may have accidentally set a code for the start inhibiter. When you turn the key on does it ask you for a code? If it does enter the code you think you may have entered. Maybe you set the radio code for the start inhibiter. Try that. If that doesn't work let me know. There is a reset procedure for the start code but i will have to look it up as i don't remeber it off the top of my head.

If you remember what you may have set the code to try it. If it doesn't work let me know and i will look up the reset procedure.

Adam

i try to reset the code for the raido it would not take the code.the other code i need is for the anti-theft protection to activate and mobilize car. on board computer. i hope this helps.

Code lost or unknown:

• If you do not have access to the code, the emergency de-activation procedure will have to be carried out.
  • Disconnect the battery for five minutes. Reconnect.
  • Turn the igntion key to the RADIO position.
  • Display shows timer counting down 15 minutes.
  • After the 15 minute timer is done the car should start.

If you don't know the correct code to start the car the reset procedure above will have to be performed.

Adam

sorry it took me so long to get back to you .the car does start after i un hook the battery but when i set the code in to the raido so it works .the raido comes on and works good thats when the car turns over but want start. i had to unhook the battery again so my wife could go to work. iam still lost . i worked on cars for over 35 years i dont know much about codes and computers on cars.

Huh...

Now i'm somewhat confused to. The only time you should have to enter a code for the radio is after you disconnect the battery. Then you shouldn't ever have to enter a code for the radio again unless it looses power.

Are you sure your not re-entering a start disable code? When the car doesn't start does it ask for a code?

Another note...the radio code should be input with the number buttons and the start disabling code I belive is input using the 1000,100,10,1 buttons.

From what I remember after performing the emergency reset you should no longer need a code unless you put another one in.

After you unhook the battery,reconnect it and the 15 min countdown is over the car starts? If so be specific on what happens to cause it no start again. Does it ask for a code when it doesn't start ?

Let me know.

Adam

i didnt get to try the 15 min. countdown. i understand more about it now than i did ,you gave me an idea .the first time i hookup the battery i just started the car then 2 days later my wife said my radio dont work i said ok ill take a look at it, the radio had code on it so i look at the owners manual for the radio i found the code wrote on a piece of paper so thats what i used, the radio came on it work good but thats when the car didnt start. what ill do is unhook the battery wait 5 min. hook it up again wait for the countdown.but i dont think it ask for a code after i enter it in the radio. t hope this helps ! thanks

Definitely give that i try first....if the reason the car won't start is do to a starter disabling code that procedure should delete it. Remeber not do get confused with the radio code. I would not worry about entering the radio code untill you are confident the car will start every time, and that any starter disabling code has been deleted. This way there is no confusion as to wich code is being asked for.....the only thing i can think of is the car is asking if you want to enter a disabling code and when you enter what you think is the radio code you actually activate the start disable feature.

I should of explained this before in case you don't fully understand the feature:

The starter disable code feature is designed for extra theft protection. For instance if you have children that have access to your keys but you don't want them to be able to drive the car you can enter a code that only you know. Once you have done that it activates this feature. Now the only way to start the car is to remember the code and enter it before you can start it. There is no universal code that is specific to your car,(like the radio code), the starter disable code is a code you make up on your own and enter it in to prevent people that don't know the code from driving your car.

Once the reset procedure is performed correctly you should never have to enter a code to get the car to start. If you go to the code function screen for the starter,(not the radio), and enter a code you may have just activated it...and now the car won't start unless you re-enter it again.

For instance if you enter the radio code in the starter code spot you may be accidentally activated the start disable feature.

Hope this helps!

Adam

Adam
Adam, BMW Technician
Adam
Adam
Adam, BMW Technician