BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 96 Z3 that the passenger door is filling..ground..seal…

I have a '96 Z3...
I have a '96 Z3 that the passenger door is filling with water. When you open the door, it drains on the ground. It appears that the fixed glass is moving slightly out of the verticle window seal when you shut the door.

When you open the door you can push the glass back into the seal. Adjustment?
7/2/2009
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There has been a service bulletin for that type of concern. Here is what it states.

Group 51
Body Equipment

Bulletin Number
51 12 98

Woodcliff Lake, NJ
November 1998
Product Engineering

SUBJECT:
Torn Vertical Seal on Door Window

MODEL:
Z3 roadster

Situation:
The vertical seal on the division bar between the fixed and moveable door windows can tear at the top, causing a water leak.

Cause:
Variation in the wall thickness of the end cap at the top of the seal.

Correction:
The manufacturing process of the seal was changed to prevent thin spots in the seal. The improved seals have been used on fixed window assemblies manufactured May 15, 1998 and later.

Procedure:
In case of customer complaint, remove the fixed window assembly and replace the affected seal with one manufactured May 15, 1998 or later. Refer to Repair Instructions, section 51 32 140.

Parts Information:
The part numbers of the seals are:

Position Part Number Left 51 32 8 410 167 or Right 51 32 8 410 168

Warranty Information:
Covered under the terms of the BMW new car limited warranty.

Defect Code: 51 32 92 01 00 Labor Operation: 51 32 140 7 FRU Parts Allowance: Left or right seal, as required Left 51328410167 (1) or Right 51328410168 (1)

The seal, while original, has no tears and is tight at the top and bottom. When you close the door, it seperates from the middle of the vertical bar. The windshield/roof seal pressure is pushing the window out of the vertical seal. Something is allowing the window to move when it didn't before.

Interestingly enough, the drivers door, which has seen signifigantly more use, has no issues.

That sounds like the adjustment. I have it in a PDF format that you can download at this link, thanks

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nzowjvwdmki/WINDOW.pdf

Couldn't open the link. Can you email it to me directly @ [email protected] or [email protected]. Thanks. I think we're on the right track with that.

We can't see email addresses on this end, (just a bunch of x's) Let me try and paste it on here, thanks

Adjusting Front Left or Right Door Window (Z3 Roadster)

• Remove door trim panel.

graphic

Ideal adjustment:

• The door window (1) gasket (2) must locate evenly all round (wind noise, water ingress).

graphic

Ideal adjustment:

• Door window (1) locates flush against A-pillar (2).

graphic

• Pull off cover.

Installation:

• Replace cover.

graphic

Parallelism:

• Adjust door window so that it is parallel to the window frame by adjusting the guide rails.

graphic

Preload on door window (fixed):

• Adjust window guide rail until door window (1) locates flush against the A-pillar (2).

graphic

Loosen screw (1) and adjust window guide rail (front).

graphic

Preload on door window:

• Loosen screw (1) and adjust window guide rail (rear).

graphic

Ideal adjustment:

• Adjust height of door window (1) until transition from fixed door window (3) to rubber window seal (2) forms a smooth line.

graphic

• Height of door window is adjusted by turning the screw (1) on the window regulator (2).
Jerry, Master Mechanic
Thanks,
Got everything apart tonight. Adjusting the track helped and I appreciate the photos since my manual isn't always very detailed.

In comparing the windows on both sides, the fixed glass appears to be bonded to the vertical track, as well as bolted to the door. The bonding has seperated on this window, so until I get that fixed, the problem will persist. Fortunately a guy I work with also owns an auto glass company.
Your welcome and come again, anytime, thanks and best wishes with it.