Steve
Steve, BMW Technician
Experience:  city & guilds - Bmw Senior Technician
15372434

2000 BMW 323i: battery went dead..the radio, fan and lights went dead

Customer Question

I have a 2000 BMW 323i, the battery went dead so I replaced the battery. But the problem has continued. While driving the car the radio, fan and lights went dead. I shut the car off and then the car would not start. Nothing, would not turn over at all. Came back 6 hours later and the car started right up. This has happened several times now. What could be causing this to hppen?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

Hi

I would get the alternator checked next to make sure it is charging the battery & all battery and Alternator connections are good.

Regards Steve

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I tried cleaning the terminals and checking for loose connections, also started the car and unhooked the battery terminals to see if the car would kill, it did not. after cleaning the connections and tightening the connections I tried to start the casr but it would not start. It just clicks when trying to start it. First the clicking is coming from behind the dash and then I can hear it clicking at the starter I presume. What next? Your thoughts?

Gary

Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

Hi Gary

The clicking sounds like low battery voltage to the starter motor , i would get the alternator out put checked if you have a voltmeter check the battery voltage should be about 11.5 volts to 12volts then start the car and you should see at least a 2 volt increase this is a basic check but will show if alternator is charging.

Regards Steve