BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

Bmw x3: the sunroof from the popped position, the left corner does

my bmw x3 is having...
my bmw x3 is having a problem with the sunroof. when attempting to close the sunroof from the "popped position", the left corner does not close. there is a part that is not moving. can you help?
4/14/2009
Adam
Adam, BMW Technician
I am assuming your X3 has a panoramic sunroof,(a front and rear pane of glass)? Is it the left rear corner of the rear pane of glass?
rear left is not closing. yes it is a panoramic sunroof.
If the vehicle is still under the original factory warranty ,(5 yrs 50,000m), or CPO coverage, definitely take it to a dealer for repairs! If it's not the most common issue is a guide piece that brakes in the area that it is stuck. This is not something that can be replaced easily. You can get a repair kit for the rear glass section but the entire sunroof should be removed from the car to install the new pieces. I highly recommend taking it to a dealer for the repair. If it's not repaired correctly and the entire unit needs to be replaced it can be a few thousand dollars. I can't be sure with out seeing it but if it's the problem i'm familiar with the parts and repair time at a dealer may run in the $1,000 range. If you just need to get it shut you can usually tap the black plastic guide that is stuck and get it to move. Place a screwdriver or like tool at the bottom of the guide piece and tap the butt of the screwdriver with your other hand in the direction it should be moving. If it doesn't seem like it wants to move don't force it too hard and take it to the dealer.
Adam
Adam, BMW Technician
Adam
Adam
Adam, BMW Technician