BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

2000 BMW 323i: blows cold air..an oil change..synthetic oil

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 2000...
Hi, I have a 2000 BMW 323i that just blows cold air. Do you know what it is ? Also is it true that BMW's only need an oil change every 12 months with dealer synthetic oil change ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
1/27/2009
BMW Mechanic: AMEDEE, BMW TECHNICIAN replied 8 years ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, BMW TECHNICIAN
Hello!

Your coolant may be low, or there is an air pocket in your cooling system causing a low or not heat situation. You will have to bleed the system. With the engine cold take off the radiator cap and start the motor. as the engine warms up, keep the coolant topped off. the cap should be the highest point in the cooling system. If not there will be a bleeder screw that you can open to let out air. Here is a hint, Turn on the heat when the engine is warm, if it is blowing cold, than there is a huge air pocket and the system.

As far as changing the oil goes, there is a TSB that talks about it. Here it is.

June 2006
Technical Service

SI B11 08 98
Engine

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. 11 08 98 dated October 2005.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
BMW Engine Oils

MODEL
All E-Series from MY 1999 to present.

SITUATION
Starting with the introduction of the 1999 3 Series (E46), BMW introduced an extended oil change interval of approximately 15,000 miles depending on engine operating conditions.

The engine oil change interval of approximately 15,000 miles has been carried over to all 2001 BMW models. However, engine oil should be changed at least once a year. This revision (annual oil change) is retroactive to earlier model years and is included in the BMW Maintenance Plan.

To coincide with the increased oil change interval, BMW also introduced "BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil" SAE 5W-30.

[NEW] Castrol, the supplier of the High Performance Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30, is now producing this oil domestically to ensure supply to the growing demand. The oil color may appear to be lighter due to different additive pack and base stocks used, however the performance specifications remain the same. It is fully compatible with other stock of the familiar amber color.

BMW recommends the use of BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30 or Castrol RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil also called Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil on all models as outlined below whenever a service is necessary to avoid engine damage.

Synthetic Engine Oil Recommendations

Synthetic Engine Oil Benefits

BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30 and Castrol RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil also called Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil offers several benefits over conventional mineral based oils.

These oils have been durability tested on BMW engines and supply superior lubrication under all operating conditions and over the extended BMW oil change intervals.

^ Superior thermal stability

The synthetic based oil resists thickening at very low ambient temperatures providing improved flow, lubrication and less internal engine resistance during cold starts.

Under high heat conditions, the oil resists thermal breakdown/shearing which causes a loss of lubrication quality with conventional oils.

Using BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil eliminates the need for seasonal oil changes since it covers all ambient temperature ranges.

^ Superior lubrication throughout the life of the oil

Compared to conventional engine oils, BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil is better able to keep engine combustion contaminants in suspense and is less susceptible to the harmful effects of oxidation.

The oil resists sludge build up thus allowing extended oil change intervals. Synthetic based oils also have a lower volatility which makes them less susceptible to evaporation thereby reducing oil consumption.

1999 Model Year and Later Oil Recommendation

BMW High Performance Synthetic oil must be used on all 1999 and later BMW vehicles which have oil change intervals of approximately 15,000 miles (except M5 produced up to 3/00 and E46 M3, E36 M roadster and M coupe with S54 engines) as stated in the owners manual. In addition, there is a label affixed to the engine cover which states the oil specifications and refers to the BMW website and toll free number for additional information.

M5 and Z8 Oil Recommendation

^ The M5 up to 3/00 production requires a specially formulated synthetic engine oil - Castrol Formula RS SAE 10W-60 or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 and is the only approved oil for this engine.

^ Castrol Formula RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil must be used on M5 models produced up to 3/00 whenever a service is necessary to avoid engine damage and is available under BMW part number 07 51 0 009 420 (1 liter bottle).

Notes : For logistical reasons Castrol Formula SAE RS 10W-60 Synthetic Oil has been renamed and is now called Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil. Since the formulation has remained the same it is sold under the same BMW part number 07 51 0 009 420.

Only if a customer needs to top up oil between oil changes and Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 Synthetic Oil or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil is not available is it permissible to use synthetic engine oils with a lower viscosity which conforms to the API classification SH or higher.

However engine oil consumption will increase when Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 Synthetic Oil or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic is diluted (topped up with other low viscosity synthetic engine oils).

M5 (S62 engine) produced from 3/00 and all Z8:

^ The S62 engine incorporates redesigned piston rings from 3/00 which permit the use of BMW High Performance Synthetic Engine Oil SAE 5W-30.

^ The recommended engine oil for all Z8 vehicles and M5 vehicles (produced from 3/00) is BMW High Performance Synthetic Engine Oil SAE 5W-30.

Note : Refer to Service Information bulletin 11 04 00 for S62 engine oil level checking procedure.

[NEW] E60 M5, E63 M6 with the S85 engine.

^ Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic oil.

Note : This engine is equipped with an electronic oil level check. Follow the procedure in SI B11 01 06 and in the owner's manual for proper checking of the oil level.

E46 M3, Z3 and Z4 M roadsters, Z3 and Z4 M coupes:

All with S54 engines Oil Recommendations

^ All M models with the S54 engines require the use of Castrol Formula RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil and is the only approved oil for this engine.

^ Castrol Formula RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil must be used on E46 M3, E36 M roadster and M coupe with S54 engines whenever a service is necessary to avoid engine damage and is available under BMW part number 07 51 0 009 420 (1 liter bottle).

Note : Refer to Service Information bulletin 11 04 00 for S54 engine oil level checking procedure.

1998 Model Year and Earlier Oil Recommendation

BMW High Performance Synthetic engine oil may also be used on earlier BMW models.

BMW High Performance Synthetic engine oil is included and may be claimed on all vehicles covered under the BMW Maintenance Plan.

BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil will replace BMW approved Special Oils. The oil change intervals should not be extended due to the greater durability of a fully synthetic engine oil. The engine oil and filter should always be changed as per the vehicle's Service Indicator when the
"Oil Service" or the "Inspection" display appears regardless of the type of oil being used.

BMW mineral based High Performance engine oil is also offered for model year 1998 and earlier BMW models. However, for reliable engine performance in all temperature ranges mineral based engine oil viscosity must be matched to the temperature range at which the vehicle will be operated.

See the Temperature - Viscosity chart in the Owners Manual or Operating Fluids Manual for further information.

^ Engine Oil Additives

The use of engine oil additives is not recommended and not necessary on BMW engines. Instead, it is mandatory to use BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil in 1999 model year and later BMW models, Castrol Formula RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil or Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil in M5 S62 models produced up to 3/00 and E46 M3, E36 M roadster and M coupe with S54 engines.

Also recommended is the use of either BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil, BMW High Performance Mineral Oil or one of today's highly advanced brand name lubricating oils conforming to API classification SH or higher in 1998 and earlier BMW models.

PARTS INFORMATION
As part of the BMW global alliance with CASTROL we are changing our private label engine oil supplier for both mineral and synthetic engine oils. As part of this change, the synthetic engine oil will now be a SAE 5W-30 oil which covers the same temperature range as the SAE 5W-40 synthetic engine oil

graphic
graphic
Hello again,
thanks for your reply, I'll give it a try. Where is the bleader screw ? Opened the radiator cap and could not see any antifreeze ! Need to go get some antifreeze and just fill her up ? Recommend any brand of antifreeze ? Hope this works, will be ggreat to be warm again !!
LOL!

SOme cooling systems may not have bleeder screws. If there is any, they will be located towards the top of the system. If there are no bleeder screws, then just do all the bleeding through where you would fill the radiator with coolant. Just use the same color antifreeze that is in your cooling system already.
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, BMW TECHNICIAN
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, BMW TECHNICIAN