ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms appraiser & expert
30945867

I have a 1st edition model Springfield 1898 rifle. I would

I have a 1st edition model Springfield 1898 rifle. I would describe the condition as Good to Fair. There some dings in the wood stock and small amounts of rust in the chamber. I also have the sword type bayonet and case. What is the estimated valued of this gun? Thanks, Bill
JA: The Firearms Appraiser can help. You can also send photos once I've connected you. Do you have the gun's serial number or barrel code?
Customer: The serial number is *****
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Firearms Appraiser should know?
Customer: I don't think so. The bolt action works just fine. The magazine assembly needs to be taken apart and cleaned as it will not open.

Hi! I'm Jim, a firearms expert here at Just Answer. Is this the 30/40 Krag model that you have?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

OK great. Give me a few minutes to type up the value info for you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
OK,. thanks. Bill

and this is an 1898, not an 1899?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
1898
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I did get the magazine to open. Just a bit sticky

ok very good.

Thank you for your patience...

.

If you are new to Just Answer, please read first: Once you have read the answer below, you will be prompted to provide a positive rating (on your screen now with the stars) for my efforts in answering your question. Please understand that this positive rating is how the website compensates me for my work on your question.

.

The rating that you give is for my efforts, not the specific answer itself. Sometimes we give a good effort but must deliver bad news, like a low value for your firearm. We don’t like having to do that, but we want to provide you with an honest answer nonetheless. This rating must be completed by you in order to close the question out. If you have a follow-up question, you can still reply back to me and I’ll be happy to assist you further. Please reply back and ask any additional questions that you have before you consider leaving a negative rating.

.

As for the value...,

The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com..

.

Manufacturer/Trademark – Springfield Armory

Model/configuration – Model 1898 rifle (30/40 Krag)

Serial number - 165068

Estimated Value Range –see below

.

For your firearm, the following current values apply (from the Blue Book of Gun Values). Retail prices may be 20% higher. Percentages are based on the amount of original finish on the gun, and its operational ability.

.

New in box/perfect --100% condition - $3,000

Mint condition --------98% condition - $2,500

Excellent condition -- 95% condition - $1,000

Very Good+ condition -- 90% condition- $700

Very Good condition ------ 80% condition - $600

Good+ condition ------------70% condition - $500

Good condition --------------60% condition - $400

.

Values noted above are for original, unaltered specimens. Subtract 20%-40% for "as modified" guns.

I do not have a specific listing in the Blue Book for the bayonet & scabbard, but I would think that $300 to $400 or so would be appropriate.

.

I hope that this has been helpful to you! If you do not need anything further, please remember to complete a positive rating with the stars near the top of your Just Answer screen. That will be needed to complete our online session today.

.

Thanks!

Jim

.

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2020 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Jim, thank you very much, That is all the information I need. cheers, Bill