Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

My husband passed away and I have some rifles and pistols he…

Customer Question
My husband passed away...

My husband passed away and I have some rifles and pistols he left that I'd like to sell. What is the best way to try and sell firearms?

Expert's Assistant: The Firearms Appraiser will get you a firearm appraisal. Tell us what else you do know and the Firearms Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Browning Auto-5 - 12 ga shot gun
Remington Model 1100 - 20 ga shot gun
Stevens Rifle 22

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Firearms Appraiser should be aware of?

Remington 700 w/ scope

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
photos and descriptions attached
5/17/2018
Firearms Expert: Tom, Associate Degree replied 1 month ago
Tom
Tom, Associate Degree

I am sorry to hear about your husband, it is never easy, especially when going through possessions and getting rid of them.

I normally do a maximum of 2 guns per question. I would need the serial number from the Browning A-5. It should be on the side of the receiver. The manufacture date can make a huge difference in the value of the A-5 and on the Remingtons. There is a letter code on the left side of the barrels close to the receiver, it will be either 2 or 3 letters. They will tell me the date of manufacture. (The left as you are holding the gun to fire)

The pistol at the end is a "Starter Pistol" and fires blanks only. They are worth $75 to $100.

Tom

I would also need the model number of the Stevens 22. I should be on the left side of the barrel about halfway down.

The best way to sell them is to either list them on one of the online auction sites like GunBroker.com of have them sold at a local auction. Auctions usually bring a much higher price than what you would get selling them privately or to a gun-shop. If you can locate an auction house near you that has firearm auctions once every couple of months it would be the way to go. They advertise the auctions and have many other guns to draw people in. On many guns I have seen prices up to 50% more than what they should sell for. People can't stop if they see something they really want!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
all good information Tom; thanks for taking the time to look at this detail. I like your idea of an auction and will do a little due diligence to find something in my neighborhood.

If you tell me where you live I may know or be able to find an auction house near you.

Tom

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Houston Texas

It looks like there are quite a lot of auction houses in Houston, but i didn't see any that I'm familiar with.

Tom