Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I have an old double barrel shotgun on the receiver it says…

I have an old...

I have an old double barrel shotgun on the receiver it says clarks imperial I believe it was made by baker the serial number on the inside of receiver ,barrel and forearm are stamped with 40474 the gun is plain with no engraving

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

No I was just trying io figure out when it was made also is has steel barrels

5/17/2018
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree

Thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** am reviewing your question and will provide an answer or a request for more information shortly.

Can you attach some photos showing both sides of the gun - full length. Any markings on the frame under the barrels if you take them off?

the original stock has been cut and I'm sure the barrel were cut as the barrels are 19 and a half inches overall lenth is now 27 and a half
thumbnail (1).jpgthumbna...jpgthumbnail (2).jpgthumbna...jpggun.jpggun.jpgthumbnail (1).jpgthumbna...jpg
the photos show the only markings on the gun
underneath the serial no on the receiver its stamped S1 then a long space then the number 12
did you get the pictures

Yes - thanks. I'm still researching those photos and should be getting back to you shortly.

Clarks was a hardware store. Like many such stores in the 1920s and 1930s, they had shotguns made with their own name on them. Baker did produce a utility shotgun for them, labeled "Clarks Imperial". But looking at your boxlock shotgun, it doesn't appear to be made by Baker. It does look like an F.A. Crescent boxlock. Crescent made such specially labeled utility shotguns for a plethora of hardware stores during that time.

Here is the appraisal:

May 17, 2018

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Manufacturer/Trademark – F.A. Crescent Co.

Model/configuration – Model Crescent Dave 600 Hammerless Boxlock shotgun, 12 ga., with various inch bbl., and blue finish.

Value Range (based on percentage of original finish on the gun and in working order):

100% - $375
98% - $325
95% - $295
90% - $265
80% - $230
70% - $210
60% - $185

I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.

For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Sincerely,

Philip

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.

The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.

All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2017 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Thank you for all your help