Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I have an 1889 Winchester model 1873 .32. WCF serial#

I have an 1889...

I have an 1889 Winchester model 1873 .32. WCF serial# ***** Are you able to appraise this?

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

The barrel is 16.5 inches...It's missing the dust cover that covers the port on top.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?

It has etched the numbers(###) ###-####at the end of the stock. Not sure what that number could be except maybe a driver's license number...

5/11/2018
Tom
Tom, Associate Degree

Are you sure of the barrel length? The carbine had a 20" barrel and the Trappers Carbine was 14", 15", or 16". Close the bolt, insert a cleaning rod in the muzzle and push it all of the way in, mark it at the muzzle and then measure to the mark.

Tom

Hey, Tom...I followed your procedure and with the chamber closed, lever against the stock, it measures right at 17 in. I have pics I can send you if there's a way to attach.

You can use the paperclip icon on the toolbar or attach files button to attach pictures. If you have a problem let me know and I will figure out a way.

Tom

I'd love to chat over phone but cant afford another $34...When I follow your procedure, the area of the cleaning rod measures 17inches. Its lever-action and the lever is closed.
Ok. I'll send you pics. Stand by...

I have the pictures. Give me a little time to do some research and I will get back to you.

Tom

10-4...I'll be standing by. No rush.
20170406_132914.jpg2017040...jpg20170406_132933.jpg2017040...jpg20170406_133125.jpg2017040...jpg20170406_133209.jpg2017040...jpg20170406_133412.jpg2017040...jpg20170406_133705.jpg2017040...jpg20170406_134118.jpg2017040...jpg

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Manufacturer/Trademark – Winchester

Model/configuration – 1873, chambered for 32 WCF with 17" barrel

Finish (Assuming original) – Blued with walnut stock and forend

Serial Number – 315515P

Additional Information – I believe you have a gun that was cut down from rifle length to a short carbine length, The front sight does not seem to fit correctly, there is no band holding the magazine tube to the barrel and the handguard is a rifle length one.

Although different sizes other than the 14, 15 and 16" were available on the Trappers Carbine they would have been shorter, not longer. Also 17" is just a strange length for a custom ordered gun! Carbines also had a barrel band holding the forend to the stock while rifles had it held by the nose cap.

Dust covers, screws and springs for the dust cover are available from Winchesterbob.com

Estimated condition 30% to 40%

Estimated Value Range – $750 to $1000

Expect 20% to 30% less for a trade in and 20% to 25% more for retail. These are private party values.

I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.

For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.

Tom

Pictures of all styles of the 1873

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d1/a4/27/d1a427349f73293c17930cbd5c22bca7.jpg

Thank you, Tom...There's indentions around the barrel, just behind the sight where it looks like a steel band was wrapped around. If the barrel was cut they sure did a good job of filing it smooth. I can take a pic of the end of the barrel and if you'd like to see it.

I cut down barrels all of the time, using a pilot and cutter it is very easy to make them 100% square. The indentation on the barrel where a band should be is not fully dovetailed into the barrel. It looks as if it was started and never finished. The same place that has the dust covers has barrel bands and the dovetail can be finished with a 60 degree file or a 3/8 dove tail mill.

Tom

Would you try to sell it like it is or replace the cover first? That's the only thing I know to do.

I would replace the cover, A $30 investment can bring a $100 increase in the price. Most people are looking for a complete gun, not one missing parts.

Dove tail files are triangular with 2 safe sides. This makes them very easy to use. Once a slot is filed deep enough use the file to cut the angle under each side to make the dovetail.

Tom

Not sure bout that last part as I'm not a gunsmith but it's the cover part that's on top of the port that the shell is ejected up and out. I'll try to get it ordered and have it put on. Definitely something I cant do.

If needed I can walk you through installation after you get the part. It is not hard at all. I may even have a video I can send you about installing it. I will check through my DVD's and see what I can find.

Tom

Thx, Tom. I'll do my best to stay in touch, if that's ok.

It's fine with me. If this question closes out you can always post a new question with "for Tom only" on it. That way I am sure to get it.

Tom

Alrighty, thx, Tom. Be safe. Have a great weekend.
1 more thing: Do I try to contact you thru this email or do I have to go thru the main page where I paid the fee?

When you sign into your account it will show your past questions and you should be able to open this question again.

Tom

I do not get paid until you rate my service as positive.

Tom
Tom, Associate Degree
Alright, thx Tom. Headin for the rating...