Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I have a 10 gauge shotgun muzzle loader that came over the…

I have a 10 gauge...
I have a 10 gauge shotgun muzzle loader that came over the ocean with the family. We believe it came from Wales or Scotland. It is 5' 10" long. We couldn't find any serial number but we did find a W or M marking. Approximately what is it worth?
5/10/2018
Tom
Tom, Associate Degree

Please attach a few pictures of your gun to help me determine a value. Close ups of any stamps or numbers will help to identify it.

Tom

I will take pictures tomorrow and get back to you then

Sounds good, I will get back to you as soon as I can figure it out.

Tom

I am having trouble sending my pictures to you. I have asked for help and I will keep trying.

If you still have problems I can give you an email address to send them to. Try a couple of more times and if you can't get them to upload let me know.

Tom

Nothing's working. Can we try the email?
May I have your email address? If it works, may I have you appraise some more guns for insurance purposes?

Hi Anywhere you see letters clean the area as much a possible, gun oil and a nylon brush work pretty good. Then rub chalk into the letters and wipe the surface lightly. It will highlight any stampings on the gun and make them much easier to see.

Tom

I believe it's Meedn. The only letter I'm not positive about it the d. The rest I'm sure of.

I am not finding anything to match the name, but that doesn't really mean much. In the 1800's there would be many different gun makers that worked on a gun. One would make the lock, the next did the barrels, another did the stock, then the gun was proofed by another place.

Your gun looks to be a Belgian made gun. It doesn't mean it didn't come over from Scotland, Belgian guns were exported all over the world and they copied many English style guns. The proof marks would be under the barrel, covered by the stock. If you can remove the wedges and slide the barrel bands off to the front the barrel will lift up from the front and pulled away from the tang. Following is a link to gun proof marks from England, Belgium, France, etc.

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940944/proofmarks.pdf

Your gun is not in bad shape, but really needs a thorough cleaning and possible refinishing. It is not a collectible so having work done will not harm the value as long as it is done correctly.

As is I am estimating a value of $750 to $1000. This is based on similar guns that have been sold on auction sites and guns still for sale. It was probably made between 1850 and 1870.

Tom

Tom
Tom, Associate Degree