Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I have a Browning Auto-5 12 ga shotgun with serial number…

I have a Browning...

I have a Browning Auto-5 12 ga shotgun with serial number 1064. On the receiver it says FABRIQUE-NATIONALE- HERSTAL-LEIGE-BELGIUM-BROWNING'S-PATENTS OCT, 9,1900-DEC, 17, 1901-SEPT, 30, 1902, JUNE, 16, 1903. The barrel is marked BROWNING AUTOMATIC ARMS Co OGDEN UTAH U.S.A. along with several other proof marks. It has a one piece trigger guard with no markings and a suicide safety. It has a plain barrel with no rib. It has the friction rings and brakes. This gun is in excellent condition. The finish is in great shape but we think the stock was replaced with an Auto-5 stock from a later year. It has some very minor pitting but no rust anywhere. What year do you think it was made? About what is it worth? Is it safe to shoot? Will it handle smokeless powder?

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

Not that I know of.

3/27/2018
Tom
Tom, Associate Degree

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com Manufacturer/Trademark – Browning Model/configuration – Auto -5 12 gauge Available with 26" to 32" barrel and various chokes, 4 round magazine Finish (Assuming original) –Blued with checkered walnut stock and forend Serial Number – 1064 manufactured in 1903 Additional Information –Introduced in Sept of 1903, Browning discontinued imports in Dec. 1903. Imports resumed in 1923Modern smokeless powder is safe to use. Steel shot should never be used and can damage the gun and injure the shooter Estimated condition based on the Photo Percentage Grading System –Excellent per customer. Estimated Value Range – Current value should be between $700 (95%) and $825 (98%) Add 15% for the round knob (rounded pistol grip knob on stock, pre-1967 mfg.)Add 20% for reddish stock and forearm configurations (Belgian mfg. - pre 1962). If the stock was replaced the value will be approximately 10% less A gun with pitting and no rust has been re-blued - If done by a professional it doesn't hurt the value. If re-blued and the edges are not sharp and / or the blueing has different shades or streaks, parts of engraving are thin and uneven, deduct 30% to 40%I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes. Tom
Tom
Tom, Associate Degree