Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I have a l.c. hammer gun serial #149054..can you tell me…

Hello...I have a l.c.smith...

Hello...I have a l.c.smith hammer gun serial #149054..can you tell me about it? Maybe an idea of the value? Thank you

Expert's Assistant: The Firearms Appraiser will get you a firearm appraisal. Tell us what else you do know and the Firearms Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

There is an F under the serial number

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Firearms Appraiser should know?

Double barrel 20 gauge(I believe)

3/19/2018
Tom
Tom, Associate Degree

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com Manufacturer/Trademark –L.C. Smith Model/configuration – 16 Gauge, Side by side Hammer Gun, Blued Damascus, Best English Stub Twist, or Royal fluid steel barrel, walnut stock and forend Finish (Assuming original) –Blued and oil finished Walnut Serial Number – mfg. circa .149054 Manufactured in 1905 Additional Information –20 gauge hammer guns had 4 and 5 digit serial numbers only. "F" is the "Quality" or grade of the gun and is the standard grade. It can also be a 12 gauge. , 12, and 16 gauge guns were numbered together Damascus Or Twist steel -- Use black powder or low pressure ammunition only, have gun checked by a gunsmith! Estimated condition based on the Photo Percentage Grading System – Unknown Below % based on original finish left along with mechanical condition. Estimated Value Range – Current value 90% condition-$1700, 80%- $1375, 70% - $1100, 60% - $900, 50%-$700, 40%- $550, 30% - $400, 20% - $300, 10%- $250 I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes. Tom

I missed one thing on your gun which is very important! Add 50% for 16 gauge to given values

Tom

Hi Tom! Thank you for getting me this information. I am somewhat inexperienced in interpreting the value of the firearm. Could you explain the additional 50% added to value. Thank you for your time.

Values are normally given for a 12 gauge when it is shotguns and a standard caliber like 30.06, 308 or 270 for a rifle. When a rifle model is chambered for a caliber that is rare like 218 BEE a premium is added.

With the shotguns a 16 gauge has less recoil and is easier to manage, there were less made too. If there was a 410 bore made it would probably add 200%. If your gun is in 70% condition and is a 16 gauge you would add 50% or $550 to the $1100 given value for a value of $1650.

Tom

Tom
Tom, Associate Degree