Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I have a Colt 45 SSA I got from my dad about 55 years ago.I…

HI, I have a Colt...
HI, I have a Colt 45 SSA I got from my dad about 55 years ago.I am going to hand it down to my son when I pass. A friend of mine said it might be better to sell it and give him the $ as he thinks it is quite valuable. It looks to be made of 2 45s. 5.5" barrel ser. is112123,cylender is same ;butt is 70041.The gun is in very good shape and nickel plated with simulated ivory handles.
3/19/2018
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

Is this a Single Action Army revolver?

I have paperwork showing barrel cylinder was made in 1884 ,butt was made around then too.

Do you have any photos of this gun?

nope

OK, I'll need some time to research the values for you. I can tell you now though that if the gun has mismatched parts from different guns with different serial numbers, that will significantly hurt the value. I'll be back when I have more info.

ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Phone call session started

Hi again....I tried to call but there was no answer.

Sorry ,was not home after 1;30 pm Pac. time yesterday , also will not be home until 4pm today.

Ok, I'm on eastern time so I can call later tonight.

Can you tell me a good time to call?

5 to 8 pm pac time

For some reason the phone call system won't allow me to connect to you. Can you try to request a call again? That may reset the system.

Give me your # and I will call you around 6pm my time if that is OK

Unfortunately, I cannot do it that way. Let me see if I can get the website folks to reset the call.

hope it works
I have not been able to find a good time to call do to the time difference, so I will opt out to see if another expert is able to assist you.
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree

This is Philip, let me see if I can help. How much of the original finish would you say is left on that gun?

It is nickel plated and in very good shape. The muzzle shows very well ; no real scratches or mars ;no chips. It appears the nickel is original as you can easily see the ser.#,etc.

Is that paperwork from Colt?

I have paperwork from Colt on ser.#112123 showing mfg.10/30/1884,blue, part of a government shipment of 150 , barrel length is "NOT LISTED"

OK - so the gun was a blued gun sold to the government back then. Look underneath the gun in front of the trigger guard. There is probably a serial number there. Look below it or near it. Do you see the letters "D.F.C."? If not, do you see any letters there?

DFC , below it is #112123
OK I’ll get back to you in a couple of hours I am out of the office right now and headed there.

Back in the office - writing appraisal now.

The frame of that gun was indeed a military one, originally blued, and most probably had a 7-1/2 barrel, as was standard for military versions. D.F.C. are the initials for the military inspector, David F. Clark, confirming that is a military and not a commercial gun. Your gun's frame was considered a Later David F. Clark model.

At some point the barrel and cylinder were replaced with parts from another Colt Single Action Army revolver and the gun was refinished with a nickel plating. The replacement parts and the new finish, especially nickel, all reduce the value of the gun significantly, but it is still worth some money.

The value, assuming working order and with about 70% to 80% finish should be from $7,500 to $9,750. I would suggest you take it to a local auction house that specializes in antique firearms for a "hands on" appraisal, as I cannot actually see the gun.

Thanks for your involvement in this assessment ; do you have anybody you would recommend to do the " hands on" appraisal?

I don't have any particular ones in mind. Check for auction houses in the cities around you and see if they handle antique firearms.

To close out this question, please rate my answer with the button provided (stars) - thanks!

Philip