Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I have an old S&W 39 Spc CTG with serial nbr B334931 under…

I have an old S&W...
I have an old S&W 39 Spc CTG with serial nbr B334931 under the barrel and another serial number 23547 on the bottom of the hand grip. The left side of the barrel has "Smith & Wesson" stamped on it and further back near the cylinder it has a "PN" proof mark. There is no S&W logo anywhere. Can you date this for me?
3/12/2018
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

Do you know which model of S&W it is?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
38 S&W Special CTG

That's the caliber.....I'd need the model.

Do you have any photos of the gun?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
34;CTG" is the model. I believe it is pre Model 10 S&W revolvers.

No...CTG stands for cartridge. The gun fires a .38 Special cartridge.

If you have a photo, I can research the model....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well them I do not know the model number and so that is part of my question. Model and year produced by S&W.

OK, can you tell me exactly what it says on the gun, including patent dates?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are no patent dates on the gun and there are no S&W logos either but it is obviously a Smith & Wesson since that is plainly stamped on the both sides of the barrel. It has a 3.5 inch barrel and a "PN" proof mark, it is a 6-shot revolver with a rounded front side blade and is single/double action.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is also a square butt hand grip.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have pictures if you can give me a ph. nbr or email address to send them.

If the gun says .38 S&W Special, then that is the caliber, but that does not necessary make it it Smith & Wesson revolver....only that the caliber of your gun is a .38 S&W special.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
34;SMITH & WESSON" is stamped on the left side of the barrel and "39 S&W Special CTG" is stamped on the right side of the barrel. Are you telling me this is not a S&W revolver???

It could be, but it could also be a knock off. If you can give me a photo, I can research the gun.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just found the patent numbers on the top of the barrel, just a minute...

Excellent, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
34;SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS U.S.A.
PATENTED OCTOBER 8, 1901M DEC 17 1901
FEB6 1906 SEPT 14 1908 DEC 29 1914
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Disregard the "M" after "OCTOBER 8, 1901"
Perfect, thank you. When you said at first that there were no patent dates, that made me think that it was a knock off as a true S&W should have patent dates.....Let me research this and get your info for you. Do you need the value as well?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, it is a keeper and is not in great condition and I'm not interested in selling.
Ok. No problem. Let me research this and I'll get back to you when I have your info.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What info do you need?
I don't think I will need anything else from you at this point. I just need to go through my references to get the correct info.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, thanx!
My pleasure!

OK, I'm back.....a couple of your patent dates were off just a hair, and the serial number is ***** just 334931 (the B stands for a blued finish). The model that you have is officially called a Smith & Wesson .38 Military & Police, Model of 1905, 4th change.

Now, Smith & Wesson only gives us the info that a serial number range of 241,704 to 700,000 falls between 1915 and 1942. For your serial number of 334,931, I think an approximate year of 1920 or 1921 would probably be appropriate, based on how many they usually produce in any given year.

I hope that this is helpful! If you don't need anything else, please remember to complete a positive rating with the stars at the top of your Just Answer screen. That will then complete our session.

Thanks!
Jim

ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much Jim!

Its my pleasure!

ProShooter
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor