Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I have an old S&W 39 Spc CTG with serial nbr B334931 under…

I have an old S&W...
I have an old S&W 39 Spc CTG with serial nbr B334931 under the barrel and another serial number 23547 on the bottom of the hand grip. The left side of the barrel has "Smith & Wesson" stamped on it and further back near the cylinder it has a "PN" proof mark. There is no S&W logo anywhere. Can you date this for me?
3/12/2018
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

Thank you.

Do you know which model of S&W it is?

38 S&W Special CTG

That's the caliber.....I'd need the model.

Do you have any photos of the gun?

34;CTG" is the model. I believe it is pre Model 10 S&W revolvers.

No...CTG stands for cartridge. The gun fires a .38 Special cartridge.

If you have a photo, I can research the model....

Well them I do not know the model number and so that is part of my question. Model and year produced by S&W.

OK, can you tell me exactly what it says on the gun, including patent dates?

There are no patent dates on the gun and there are no S&W logos either but it is obviously a Smith & Wesson since that is plainly stamped on the both sides of the barrel. It has a 3.5 inch barrel and a "PN" proof mark, it is a 6-shot revolver with a rounded front side blade and is single/double action.
It is also a square butt hand grip.
I have pictures if you can give me a ph. nbr or email address to send them.

If the gun says .38 S&W Special, then that is the caliber, but that does not necessary make it it Smith & Wesson revolver....only that the caliber of your gun is a .38 S&W special.

34;SMITH & WESSON" is stamped on the left side of the barrel and "39 S&W Special CTG" is stamped on the right side of the barrel. Are you telling me this is not a S&W revolver???

It could be, but it could also be a knock off. If you can give me a photo, I can research the gun.

I just found the patent numbers on the top of the barrel, just a minute...

Excellent, thank you!

34;SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS U.S.A.
PATENTED OCTOBER 8, 1901M DEC 17 1901
FEB6 1906 SEPT 14 1908 DEC 29 1914
Disregard the "M" after "OCTOBER 8, 1901"
Perfect, thank you. When you said at first that there were no patent dates, that made me think that it was a knock off as a true S&W should have patent dates.....Let me research this and get your info for you. Do you need the value as well?
No, it is a keeper and is not in great condition and I'm not interested in selling.
Ok. No problem. Let me research this and I'll get back to you when I have your info.
What info do you need?
I don't think I will need anything else from you at this point. I just need to go through my references to get the correct info.
OK, thanx!
My pleasure!

OK, I'm back.....a couple of your patent dates were off just a hair, and the serial number is ***** just 334931 (the B stands for a blued finish). The model that you have is officially called a Smith & Wesson .38 Military & Police, Model of 1905, 4th change.

Now, Smith & Wesson only gives us the info that a serial number range of 241,704 to 700,000 falls between 1915 and 1942. For your serial number of 334,931, I think an approximate year of 1920 or 1921 would probably be appropriate, based on how many they usually produce in any given year.

I hope that this is helpful! If you don't need anything else, please remember to complete a positive rating with the stars at the top of your Just Answer screen. That will then complete our session.

Thanks!
Jim

ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Thank you so much Jim!

Its my pleasure!