Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I am trying to determine if my father's shot gun is worth…

Hi, I am trying...

Hi, I am trying to determine if my father's shot gun is worth insuring. It is a Stevens Browning Model 620. The serial # is UB4137. It is the 12 gauge model with variable choke.

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

Hi Pearl....can you help with my question

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?

Not that I know of. It's been in my mother's closet for about 35 yrs. It looks to be in excellent condition. She gave it to me as she is moving and doesn't want it in the house anymore

2/16/2018
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

Can you double check what is written on the gun? Stevens and Browning were 2 different companies, like Ford and Chevy.

I think you probably mean a Stevens model 620 pump action shotgun....correct?

It says Stevens Browning made by J Stevens Arms Co, Chicopee Falls, Mass USA
it's a pump action 12 gauge with variable choke

Ok....Its a Stevens shotgun made under a patent from ***** *****ing...I know which gun you have... and you are asking about whether or not to insure it?

I've tried to research the value of it but have found some as low as $200 and some as high as $900.
For $200 probably not worth insuring. For $1000, I would consider it

Do you happen to have a photo of it?

I can take as many as you like. Anything in particular you want to see?

One good photo of the entire gun should be fine.

Also, any marks on the side like US or a flaming bomb?

It looks like some gun oils stains from the last time my father cleaned it. It's been sitting for about 35 years

OK...give me a couple of minutes....

No problem. Thank you for your help.

Can you give me a close up photo of that part attached at the end of the barrel?

Ok great.....that is a regular commercial version of the Stevens model 620. Its not one of the Stevens model 620 trench or riot guns which are worth quite a bit. Your gun is worth $200 to $225, or so.

Now, I always think its a good idea to insure all guns, but that is of course up to you....

Need anything else?

Thank you very much for this information. I'll probably add it to my homeowners policy even though it's not worth that much.

Great! Please remember to complete a positive rating with the stars at the top of your Just Answer screen. That will complete our session.

Thanks!
Jim

ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor