Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I have a springfield 1903 bilt 1917. Not sported very nice…

Customer Question
I have a springfield...

I have a springfield 1903 bilt 1917

Expert's Assistant: The Gunsmith will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

Not sported very nice shape with original cleaning kit in the but of rifel

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

Ser#745577 the bolt is missing i found some on line for 250.00 i have ben told that the ser # doth have to mach because it an armery gun ? it in grate shape like to know if worth geting bolt for ? have ben told gun may be worth up to 5K like to know more thank you mark

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
2/13/2018
Firearms Expert: Tom, Associate Degree replied 7 months ago
Tom
Tom, Associate Degree

Without a matching bolt or a bolt at all the gun is considered a rework with brings the value down by up to 80%.

It is going to be impossible to find the original bolt, but a complete Springfield bolt will help. A gun in 80% condition with all original parts is worth $2500 for a private party sale. 90% is $3500.

With a bolt that doesn't match the gun the value drops to $1000 to $1500. A bolt with parts from Remington or Smith Corona is going to drop the value more to approximately $750

What a collector looks for is a complete original gun with no replacement parts or parts that do not match the serial number. Even with a complete Springfield bolt most would pass on the gun because of numbers not matching.

Sarco has complete bolts made up of mixed parts for $50. If you go this way you have a $750 gun, The $250 complete Springfield bolt can double it.

Values are for current private party sales from Blue Book of Gun Values. Expect about 25% less for trade ins. Values are updated monthly.

Tom