Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I've found a good deal on a Remington 870 Express, but

I've found a good...

I've found a good deal on a Remington 870 Express, but wanted a parkerized finish. The price increase, however, seems exorbitant. How much should I expect to pay a gunsmith to parkerize an 870 express? A ballpark figure is fine.

Expert's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Gunsmith's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?

No, just trying to get a ballpark figure on how much parkerizing an 870 should cost.

2/10/2018
Jon
Jon, Consultant

My name is Jon. I will be helping you with your question today.

Give me just a moment to review your info.

Thank you,

Jon

To be clear, the price increase to pay Remington for a police model (I'm authorized to buy) seems rather pricey. Curious if its cheaper to take the new 870 to a gunsmith and have it parkerized.

If you are new to Just Answer, please read this:

Once you have read the answer below, you will be prompted to provide a positive rating (on your screen now with the stars) for my efforts in answering your question.

If have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top right above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

The national average is between $95 and $140. I would usually charge about $125 for an 870. The process usually involves bead blasting the entire gun before parkerizing. You might save some cash by finding a used 870 with a worn finish (since it is being refinished anyway) and having it parkerized. Another option is if you can find a police trade in shotgun. Sometimes these can be fairly reasonable. Here is a link to one: CLICK HERE

Please let me know if I have answered your question.

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jon only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first. Please remember to rate this answer.

Sincerely,

Jon

Jon
Jon, Consultant
Jon
Jon
Jon, Consultant