Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

Co. New Haven Ct. USA Model 1893 spwecial, I have a Marlin…

Co. New Haven Ct...

Co. New Haven Ct. USA Model 1893 spwecial

Expert's Assistant: The Gunsmith will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

I have a Marlin Firearms special smokeless steel Model 1893 octagon barrel with 3 patent dates oct 11 1887, April 2 1889 and Aug 1 1893 serial number 405964. What caliber gun is this?

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

Wish to know caliber and value.

1/12/2018
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

Take a look at the top of the barrel, just in front of the receiver. You should see a caliber marking there.

Thanks Jim. Got my answer.Any guess on value? Have a great weekend.

I'm happy to help with the values....give me some time to research and type this all up for you..

If you are new to Just Answer, please read first: Once you have read the answer below, you will be prompted to provide a positive rating (on your screen now with the stars) for my efforts in answering your question. Please understand that this positive rating is how the website compensates me for my work on your question.

The rating that you give is for my efforts, not the specific answer itself. Sometimes we give a good effort but must deliver bad news, like a low value for your firearm. We don’t like having to do that, but we want to provide you with an honest answer nonetheless. This rating must be completed by you in order to close the question out. If you have a follow-up question, you can still reply back to me and I’ll be happy to assist you further. Please reply back and ask any additional questions that you have before you consider leaving a negative rating..

.

Answer:

The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com....

.

Manufacturer/Trademark – Marlin

Model/configuration – Model 1893

Serial number - 405964

Estimated Value Range –see below.

For your firearm, the following current values apply (from the Blue Book of Gun Values). Retail prices may be 20% higher. Percentages are based on the amount of original finish on the gun, and its operational ability..

.

New in box/perfect --100% condition - $N/A

Mint condition --------98% condition - $N/A

Excellent condition -- 95% condition - $3,600

Very Good+ condition -- 90% condition- $2,750

Very Good condition ------ 80% condition - $2,100

Good+ condition ------------70% condition - $1,550

Good condition--------------60% condition - $1,150

Less than good - $350 to $825

.

Add 15%-20% for calibers other than .30-30 Win. or .32 Spl........Add 15%-20% for takedown model, depending on condition..........Add approx. 20% for special Lightweight Model.Subtract 10%-20% for the Model B with blue receiver.

.

Although incorrect, more than a few people refer to all 20 in. barrels as "Lightweight" models. Technically, the Lightweight variation has a 7 1/2 in. forearm rather than the standard 9 in.Later production guns were marked "Model ´93" and have less value. This model had two barrel variations - one was marked "special smokeless steel" while the other was marked "for Black Powder". The latter (also known as Model B) are 1st Models only and have blue receivers rather than case colored.

.

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2017 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Thanks Jim, you have provided a perfect answer to my questions. just received this old gun that was my grandfathers, as a gift and was curious.Have a great day.

My pleasure, and thank you!