Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I have 2 antique guns i inherited, i want to sell need to…

Customer Question
I have 2 antique...

I have 2 antique guns i inherited, i want to sell need to know their worth (1) spanish mauser made by mauser (1898) for contract 7x57. (2)astra model 600/43 9mmmade for Nazi germany

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Also bayonet with mauser. Holster and 2 extra clips with 9mm.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/4/2018
Firearms Expert: ProShooter, Firearms Instructor replied 4 months ago
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

On the Mauser, did you mean the Model of 1893?

I was told 1898.
That is all the info i have

Do you have a photo of the gun?

I do not have photo
Firearms Expert: Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree replied 4 months ago
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree

My name is ***** ***** let me see if I can help you with this. Back shortly.

1) How long is the barrel on that Mauser

2) What are the markings that indicate that gun was made for Spain? I want to make sure it wasn't for a Spanish speaking country in South America...

Once we get that Mauser taken care of, I'll move on to the Astra.

Barrel measures 15 1/2 if i measured correctly. The mas at gun store said the crank on side indicates it was spanish.

OK - probably 16 inches. To measure a barrel, remove all ammunition, close the bolt, drop a rod down the barrel and measure the length of the rod up to where it meets the muzzle of the gun.

That is where i measured.

OK - too bad about no photos, but we'll try to work without them.

1) can you make out any other markings on that gun? Dates, numbers, letters, words, etc.

2) Is there a "crest" on the top of the chamber? If so can you describe it?

3) I'm not sure about the "crank" - can you describe it to me - location, anything else to help me picture it?

By "crank" - did you mean the bolt handle that is used to open and close the action?

I sent photos with markings info hard to make out.

OK - as soon as they forward the photos to me, I'll get back to you here. Meanwhile, let me answer your question about that Astra.

What is the Astra's serial number?

Astra model 600/43 9mm

If that has the Nazi Waffenampt marking, it should have a serial number between 1 and 10500. I going to assume that is the case. Here is the appraisal:

January 4, 2018

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Manufacturer/Trademark – Astra

Model/configuration – Model 600 Mod. Automatic Waffenampt Proofing semi-automatic pistol, 9mm Para. cal., with 5-1/4 inch bbl., and blue finish.

Additional Information – 8 shot, fixed sights, wood or plastic grips. Mfg. 1944-1945.

Value Range (based on percentage of original finish on the gun and in working order):

100% - $1,200
98% - $850
95% - $650
90% - $500
80% - $400
70% - $350
60% - $300

I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.

For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Sincerely,

Philip

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.

The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.

All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2017 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Markings on astra, unheta compatasa,
Guernica espana, symbol circle with p in center, s by trigger. Other simbols circle p.
Symbols coat of arms, p circle with p. What about rifle no info back to me.

OK - so no Nazi symbols, such as an eagle? Other proof marks, based on your description, appear to be Spanish. In that case, I'll provide the values for a Non-Waffenampt marked pistol:

100% - $500
98% - $425
95% - $325
90% - $250
80% - $200
70% - $175
60% - $150

On the rifle, I am waiting for Just Answer customer service to forward me the photos you emailed them.

Ok, thanks

Usually that doesn't take very long if they aren't overly busy.

I found numbers 6756 also, further down 4 zeros line thru and 98.

On the rifle?

I'm a little surprised it's taking this long to have those photos forwarded to me. Do you remember the email address you sent them to?

Sent to same that we are emailing.

Somethings definitely wrong. I just asked professional support for the email address that should be used. As soon as she responds, I'll give you the email address and ask that you resend them to that address.

Ok, i will be away from the phone for a couple of hours.

No problem. I'm not sure exactly when she'll respond to me.

OK - if you look at the left side of the "Send" button on your screen, you should see an "+Add Files" button. Click that and then select the photos and it should share them with me.

Yes! Do you have any more photos? I need to see the entire length of the rifle (right side). If there is a crest on the top of the chamber, I would be great if I could see that, too.

There is crest on top, i sent photos. Your site is not user friendly.
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/NFtyyvw0/1515340647730528186439.jpg

I'm sorry about the site not being user friendly. I did get the full-length photo, but not the crest. That is a Mauser 98 rifle for sure. It could even be a Persian version. I just can't tell without seeing the crest. That will give us the final piece of the puzzle. You managed to get two photos up, can you try the crest one more time?

I have resent. I
I keep getting an error message can i send regular email or text to you?

My hands are tied unless you select premium service for this question, then we can communicate directly.

Did you try using the left side of the "Send" button "+Add Files" to attach that photo?

i sent 3 times and i got error message each time

Perhaps I can help - I'm pretty computer savvy. What exactly does the error message say?

An error has ccured olease retry and i did

That was a useful error message :-(

See if you can email it to***@******.*** and give them this link in the body of the email so they know what question it belongs to:

https://professional-secure.justanswer.com/chat/index/8e7613c964be43e9bbc464ec5df37d3c

I sent email, with photo did you receive?

I just checked - not yet. But you sent it late in the afternoon. I will get back to you here as soon as I get it.

I have been working with your company since sat and it is now tues still do not have info. I feel i should have information by now.

I agree. I have no idea what the issue is and why they haven't forwarded that photo to me. That's the final link to answering the question. Usually I get photos within a few hours.

Well, at least I answered the second half of your question about the pistol. Unfortunately for me, I don't get paid for any of my work on this question unless I finish answering it, and I can't do so without that last photo.

You won't be charged for this question. I'm sorry it didn't work out. I'll be out of the office until late tonight.

Philip

Tom
Tom
Tom, Associate Degree