Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

What year was my colt 1911 manufactured. How can I find out…

Customer Question
What year was my...

What year was my colt 1911 manufactured

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

How can I find out what year my colt 1911 was manufactured

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?

It was bought new from the military many years ago and is still in like new condition

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
12/27/2017
Firearms Expert: Tom, Associate Degree replied 4 months ago
Tom
Tom, Associate Degree

Please give me the serial number and any other markings on your gun such as U.S. Army Model 1911 and I will date it and give you the value.

Tom

Serial#n247051. Model of1911us army patented April 20 1897 September 9 1902. December 18 1905 February 14 1911 aug 19 1913
Colts. Pt fa. Mfg co hartford. Ct. Usa

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service.

Your gun dates to 1918. I need you to look on the frame by the trigger guard for either 2 or 3 letters. When a gun is reworked the arsenal stamps their initials on the frame. It will tell me if the gun is original or has been repaired. What type of finish is on the gun, blued or parkerized?

Tom

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Manufacturer/Trademark – Colt

Model/configuration –Model of 1911 U.S. ARMY, Chambered in 45 ACP, 5" barrel and 7 round magazine

Finish (Assuming original) –Blued metal (dull blue) with checkered walnut grips

Serial Number – 247051 manufactured early 1918

Additional Information – There were 650,000 Model 1911's manufactured between 1911 and 1925. Your gun should have the initials "PH" or "HP" visible on the barrel through the ejection port.

Estimated condition based on the Photo Percentage Grading System – "Like new condition" per customer

Estimated Value Range – A Model 1911 in all original condition is valued between $2050 (90%) and $3200 (95%). There is a large gap between the 90 and 95% values, guns in 95% and above condition are very rare.

A rework is valued at $950 to $1050. Add 15% for an arsenal blued finish. Reworks will have the arsenal initials stamped on the frame by the trigger guard. Most are on the right, but it is possible to be on the left.

I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.

For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Values are current private party values, expect approximately 25% less for trade in and 20% more at a retail gun shop.

Tom

My gun has a. 1. 8 on ejector
It does not have any other initials

No initials means that it was never rebuilt or repaired at a government arsenal which is good for you. The values given above are good on your 1911.

If you have any other questions about it or any other guns don't hesitate to ask.

Tom

Thanks for your help l rate you at the top I have a double barrel 12guage couch gun it's aparkhurst thers no numbers on it It's stamps Belgium and machine made Decarbonated steel. I was told it was from 1897. It's in decent shape and shoots good. What can you tell me about it.

During the late 1800's and early 1900's the were thousands of guns imported from Belgium by Companies like Crescent Arms. Parkhurst is not listed as a manufacturer or in the trade name index.

For the cost of the stamp, Crescent would put any name you wanted on the guns. These are called "Hardware Store" guns. A small store could order a few guns with their name stamped on it. There are hundreds of different names stamped on the same model gun.

Most of these guns were good quality and low cost and sold in small local stores. Values have been going up, but not as fast or high as well known manufacturers guns.

Your gun in 70% condition would sell for $250 to $350. There are very few companies producing side by side shotguns for hunting and values will keep going up. Most made today are Coach guns which have 20" barrels.

I have refinished / restored 8 old S x S shotguns in the past year which has doubled or tripled the value. Bringing an old gun back to 95% condition from something that was ready for the trash is my favorite type of work!

Tom

Tom
Tom
Tom, Associate Degree