Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I purchased a old Japanese 28 ga single shot I was told the…

Customer Question
I purchased a old...

I purchased a old Japanese 28 ga single shot I was told the translation was eisuke miyata registered with japanee gov in tokoyo

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

Beautiful shotgun wondering what it was

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

Not sure how to send the markings off the reciever

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
12/2/2017
Firearms Expert: ProShooter, Firearms Instructor replied 7 months ago
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Good evening...do you have any photos of your gun?
SENDING
24281557_150580051950458...jpg2428155...jpg24272917_150580050950458...jpg2427291...jpg24257621_150580048617125...jpg2425762...jpg24257467_150580053283791...jpg2425746...jpg
I HOPE THEY COME THRU NEW TO THIS
I see them. I'll need some time to research this.
had someone in japan read it was given after a tournament in Tokyo name was eisuke miyata and was registered with japan gov
Ok...working on it. May take some time.
I'm working man more time than money lol thanks

I'm not finding enough info to be helpful. I'm going to opt out so that another expert can step in to try to assist you.

Firearms Expert: Tom, Associate Degree replied 7 months ago
Tom
Tom, Associate Degree

There is very little information available for this shotgun. Miyata Manufacturing was founded in 1881 and produced guns for the Imperial Japanese Army. They also produced guns for the Army under the Muratand name and made knives for the Navy.

In 1892 Miyata started producing bicycles because they felt the gun industry would not last. The first bicylcles were made using gun barrels for the frames.

There is no listing or price information for any weapons manufactured by Miyata. Similar shotguns produced in Belgium and the U.S. during the same time period will sell from $100 to $1000 depending on the quality of wood and steel, type of steel and amount of engraving if any and the condition of the gun.

I would estimate your guns value between $150 to $225.

Be very careful using this gun, I would have it checked by a gunsmith before firing. Most guns from this time period can not handle the pressure of modern ammunition and should only be fired using Black Powder Shells. Some will be okay with a light, low brass field or target load.

Sorry I couldn't give you any other information, it is just available for this manufacturer.

Tom