Appraiser JM
Appraiser JM, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. Association of Online Appraisers. USPAP qualified through 2019
30223878

I have a barrel rifle that measures 52" in length and weighs

Customer Question

I have a long barrel rifle that measures 52" in length and weighs 10.6 lbs., and I was told it might be Civil War era. The markings are hard to see but I can make out the letters USM and possibly N. Inside the barrel are 7 straight grooves. The stock is of what appears to be tiger maple and has been varnished. I would like to know a price and some history if that's possible. There is some pitting on the barrel and the stock has some chips. Thank you.
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Appraiser JM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.

This is a perch belly percussion rifle, from the mid to late 19th century, also known as an Eastern halfstock rifle. It's likely from the era right after the Civil War, and it looks to be from the New York area. This is a sporting rifle.

Unfortunately, it's in very poor condition, with significant wear and damage to both metal and wood parts, with a completely missing percussion lock.

In this condition, the value would be perhaps $300.00.

If you have additional questions about this item, I am happy to continue working with you. Just continue our discussion in the reply box.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jennifer only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I see that this question remains "open." How can I help you further? I strive to always provide five-star service.

I am happy to continue to work with you until you are completely satisfied.

Sincerely,

Jennifer