Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals, Ask an Expert

Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

My father passed away, leaving my grandfather's SXS, which I

My father passed away, leaving...
My father passed away, leaving my grandfather's Parker SXS, which I remember my dad hunting with regularly for many years. The serial number is ***** which I think means it was made in 1930. I think it's a 20 gauge. It says Meriden, CT and Trojan Steel with arrows on the side. Elsewhere it says HT OV and 3 with a smaller number 3 over it. It's been used a lot but beautifully maintained. I never want to sell it because of its association but I do want to insure it. I have no idea of its value. I would like to know more about its value but also the gun. My dad and grandfather were short and their Remington rifle had a shortened butt. I wonder if the Parker was size customized. Can you help?
10/14/2017
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree

Thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** am reviewing your question and will provide an answer or a request for more information shortly.

Writing your appraisal right now. Back in a few minutes.

The value is based on the amount of original finish left on the gun. See the value table below.

October 13, 2017

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Manufacturer/Trademark – Parker Brothers

Model/configuration – Model Trojan Grade Side-by-side shotgun, 20 ga., with 26 inch bbl., and blue finish.

Serial Number – 232564 mfg. circa late 1929.

Additional Information – Parker's lowest-priced gun, single or double triggers, but no auto ejectors available, very rarely found in mint condition because they were used a lot, a genuine utility gun, introduced 1912-13 with approx. 33,000 total mfg. Your gun is hammerless with a pistol-grip stock.

Value Range (based on percentage of original finish on the gun and in working order):

100% - $--
98% - $--
95% - $--
90% - $5,200
80% - $4,800
70% - $4,300
60% - $4,000
50% - $3,500
40% - $3,000
30% - $2,600
20% - $2,000
10% - $1,800

I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.

For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Sincerely,

Philip

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.

The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.

All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2017 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

If you need any more information on your dad's/grandfather's Parker, let me know. Otherwise, to close out the question, rate my answer - thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Philip, how do I tell whether the gun is in working order and how do I assess the degree of finish? Does that mean original surface? It has patina and wear from being used for over 40 years regularly, but it has not been fired in 20 years. It's all there, but there is some pitting on the metal. My grandfather was a metal worker and it makes sense that this is a lower priced gun. It is in what I think might be an original waxed canvas carrying case I remember from the 1950s when I was a kid. The leather handle on that is so worn from use. That's the part I love because I think of my dad and grandfather. My husband is a hunter, mostly black powder now, but we wonder if we should ever use this Parker.

Yes, it is the percentage of the original, factory finish on the gun. I would suggest you take it to a local gunsmith to check the gun for being in working order. It most likely is, but better than have it checked.

Patinas are usually found on guns with 60% or less of the original finish left (the patina is still part of the original finish - a fading or worn blue).

You need to consider how much bare metal there is and how much bare wood as an approximate percentage. If you are taking the gun to a gunsmith, he can give you that estimate.

Optionally, I can look at good-quality photos of your gun to give an approximation.

Also, be careful where you store that gun. A leather case for long term storage is a bad idea because of rust (leather and some other materials can hold on to moisture). Better to get some gun oil on that gun (inside and out) to protect the metal.

If you don't have any more questions on that gun, please rate my answer to close out the question - thanks!

Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last question: what should I be storing this in? A gun case? I will be taking it to the only gun store in central CT, where there is supposedly a Parker expert there two hours a day. Ironically, this won't be far from where it was manufactured.

I would put a light coat of gun oil on the gun, including in the barrels. It should be kept in a cool, dry place. If you have a gun safe with a dehumidifier in it, that would work fine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can do that. Thank you very much.

Glad to help!

Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree