Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I was given an 1878 that has been in the family since it was…

Hi I was given an...
Hi I was given an 1878 parker that has been in the family since it was purchased. SN 50543 with a 3 above it on water table. Damascus steel on rib. 2 hammers. Any info on this would be great. Is 3 the grade?
Pretty rusted. Very slowly removing it with a non abrasive plastic buffing pad and wd40.
Should I have it blued, and idea on value?
Thank you
chad
10/11/2017
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Good morning...I'll start researching your info and I'll report back when I have more info.Jim
Thank you ProShooter. Is the a way to upload pics on here for you?

Yes, there should be an "add files" option on your screen.

Great, thank you for the photos. I'll take a look.

Hi again...sorry for the delay. I've been tied up all day at my full time job and was unable to work on this earlier. I'm working on it now though.
No worries! Thank you

Is your gun a 12 gauge?

If you are new to Just Answer, please read first: Once you have read the answer below, you will be prompted to provide a positive rating (on your screen now with the stars) for my efforts in answering your question. Please understand that this positive rating is how the website compensates me for my work on your question.

The rating that you give is for my efforts, not the specific answer itself. Sometimes we give a good effort but must deliver bad news, like a low value for your firearm. We don’t like having to do that, but we want to provide you with an honest answer nonetheless. This rating must be completed by you in order to close the question out. If you have a follow-up question, you can still reply back to me and I’ll be happy to assist you further. Please reply back and ask any additional questions that you have before you consider leaving a negative rating..

.

Answer:

.

The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com...

.

Manufacturer/Trademark – Parker Bros.

Model/configuration – Grade 3 (DH) 12 gauge

Serial number - 50543

Year of manufacture - 1887

Estimated Value Range –see below

.

For your firearm, the following current values apply (from the Blue Book of Gun Values). Retail prices may be 20% higher. Percentages are based on the amount of original finish on the gun, and its operational ability.

.

New in box/perfect --100% condition - $N/A

Mint condition --------98% condition - $N/A

Excellent condition -- 95% condition - $N/A

Very Good+ condition -- 90% condition- $8,500

Very Good condition ------ 80% condition - $8,000

Good+ condition ------------70% condition - $7,000

Good condition --------------60% condition - $6,500
Less than good - $3,500 to $6,000

.

From the photos, the rust seems to be fairly extensive. That will send the values towards the lower end, naturally. Beautiful gun though!

.

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2017 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Oh, and please do not have it re-blued. That will hurt the value tremendously...

I assumed its a 12 gauge. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok great thank you! No wouldnt reblue. Ive read that this should be browned. Professionally if its advisable. I believe it is a 12ga

Need anything else?

Just where it sits grade wise. Is that lower, mid or higher grade?
Thank you very much!!!
Also where do I rate you?

With the rust as is, I'd say probably in the $5,000 to $6,000 range. Could of course go higher if properly cleaned.

The rating is done by choosing the stars at the top of your screen.

ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Thank you ProShooter. I'll be passing it down to my son. Have a good good night!