Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

I bought a Remington Model 12a 22. I don't see a number on…

Customer Question
I bought a Remington...

I bought a Remington Model 12a 22. I don't see a number on the side of the barrel. but do have the serial number on the bottom of the rifle. Would like to know when it was made?

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

It has RW 432494 number on the bottom of the reciever

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?

Everything else is just the patent numbers on the barrel.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
9/17/2017
Firearms Expert: ProShooter, Firearms Instructor replied 10 months ago
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

What I'll need you to do is check the left side of the barrel for a 2-3 letter code.

It should be just in front of the receiver.

I do not have any letter code on the side of the barrel.

Ok, if there is no letter code, then the closest we can get to a manufacture year would be to give you a range,since the serial numbers don't actually correspond to manufacture dates.....

The range would be 1909 to 1921.

After 1921, the model 12 used the 2 letter codes on the barrel

thanks

I hope that this has been helpful! If you have no other questions about this gun, please remember to complete a positive rating at the top of your screen with the stars.

That positive rating will close out the question.

Thanks! Have a great night!

Jim

Did you need anything further?

Are you still with me?

Firearms Expert: ProShooter, Firearms Instructor replied 9 months ago

Good morning! I see that this question is still open on my list and that you have not yet completed a positive rating (with the stars, near the top). When you complete that positive rating for my work, the question will then close....or did you need some other info first?

​Jim