Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals, Ask an Expert

Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

I have an antique European handgun that I was interested in

knowing its purpose and possible...
I have an antique European handgun that I was interested in knowing its purpose and possible value
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have a few pictures if it would help. It is an unusual looking handgun
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I can think of
8/21/2017
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree

Thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** am reviewing your question and will provide an answer or a request for more information shortly.

1. Can you attach some photos showing both sides of the gun?

2. Can you describe any markings - words, dates, numbers, that you see on that gun?

Instructions for attaching photos

I have 2 photos to send you the one photo will show the only markings on the gun.
I am looking for the reply to expert tab so I can start the process of sending you the pictures. I can't see it.

It should be the same box you are using to type to me.

I can't pull out the markings - photo is too small with low resolution. Can you describe them to me?

Actually, I can probably tell you enough detail without the actual markings. Back in a few minutes.

6 m/m going horizontal with the gun. Then vertically there is what appears to be a crown with a B below it then the same crown symbol with a U below it and beside the B the is another crown symbol with a G below it

That is a Flobert Pistol, made in Germany. Referred to as "parlor guns," they shot a very anemic 6mm caliber round, which could be shot inside a room or parlor for entertainment. Many had a 10 to 10-1/2 inch barrel with a spur trigger, just like yours has. The round is really just a percussion cap with a projectile and no gun powder to keep it safe for firing in a small shooting parlor in a large house.

Flobert guns were popular in the mid-1800s. Today pricing runs from $150 to $250 or so.

I hope this helps.

Philip

I knew it was a very low powder weapon but just could not figure out a purpose. I thank you very much.

They are neat little guns that are a real conversation starter.

Do you have any more questions on that Flobert? If not, to close out this question, please rate my answer - thanks!

Philip

That's all I have. Your response time and expertise was great. Thank you very much

Thank you! There is actually a button you press to rate the answer. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll have it closed out manually.

Philip

I do not see the button

OK - thanks - I'll have it closed manually.

Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree