ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms appraiser & expert
30945867

I HAVE A GERMAN LUGER SERIAL NUMBER JUST A SEC, I HAVE A

Customer Question

I HAVE A GERMAN LUGER SERIAL NUMBER JUST A SEC
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I HAVE A GERMAN LUGER SERIAL NUMBER 82342. It is marked with the 42 AND THE N AND CROWN ALL OVER IT, NO OTHER MARKS
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: IT HAS A DWM LOGO ON THE TOGGLE TRAIN AND UNMARKED MAGAZINE BASE PLUG AND UNDATED RECEIVER RING BARRELL LENGHT 3 5/8 7.65 MM .30 LUGER CALIBER.
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  ProShooter replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

Give me a few moments to pull my resources and I'll be back shortly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay

Is there a date on the top?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no date I have good pics if you want to see them

Yes, if you could post them here that would be great.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is slow but they are coming

wow thats a lot. Give me some time to review these please....

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay I think thats all
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no problem tried to get every angle with marks

I'll need to do some additional research on this. I'll get back to you as soon as I can

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thats fine. I'd rather have it correct than hurried! :)

Hello again.....First, I wanted to apologize for the delay in replying to your question. I have been under the weather for a few days and unable to respond. I appreciate your patience.

The value info that you requested is below....

If you are new to Just Answer, please read first: Once you have read the answer below, you will be prompted to provide a positive rating (on your screen now with the stars) for my efforts in answering your question. Please understand that this positive rating is how the website compensates me for my work on your question.

The rating that you give is for my efforts, not the specific answer itself. Sometimes we give a good effort but must deliver bad news, like a low value for your firearm. We don’t like having to do that, but we want to provide you with an honest answer nonetheless. This rating must be completed by you in order to close the question out. If you have a follow-up question, you can still reply back to me and I’ll be happy to assist you further. Please reply back and ask any additional questions that you have before you consider leaving a negative rating.
.

Answer:

The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com..
.

Manufacturer/Trademark – DWM

Model/configuration – 1923 DWM Commercial, 7.65mm

Serial number - 82342

Estimated Value Range –see below

.

For your firearm, the following current values apply (from the Blue Book of Gun Values). Retail prices may be 20% higher. Percentages are based on the amount of original finish on the gun, and its operational ability.

.

New in box/perfect --100% condition - $N/A

Mint condition --------98% condition - $1,750

Excellent condition -- 95% condition - $1,550

Very Good+ condition -- 90% condition- $1,350

Very Good condition ------ 80% condition - $950

Good+ condition ------------70% condition - $725

Good condition --------------60% condition - $650

.

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2017 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had begun to think you forgot me When I didn't hear, I wrote to other sources. I have received a different response from yours. How did you come up with the year? I have seen the 1923 blue book info and it was suggested first but it doesn't mention the N Crown . Only mentions the 42 mark. In the firearms forum the crown made them think it was a 1919 commercial Luger which the serial number and specs fit also and it shows the crown. The 1923 doesn't . ???
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It says on here you have responded again but I don't see one. ??

I didn't forget about you, and I am sorry for the delay. I can usually get back to someone by the next day, but my illness prevented that.

The Blue Book doesn't always mention every feature (like the N/crown) of every gun in all listings. There is also an issue that different sources will call models by different names and serial number ranges are sometimes in question.. The 1923 Commercial is also known as a 1920 DWM in some references, and production started in late 1919. Some people may call it a 1919 Luger. In looking at the caliber and serial number for your gun I feel confident that it is the 1923 Commercial model as noted in the Blue Book.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay. I didn't know about that. And sorry you were ill. I appreciate your research. When I didn't hear and I sent the same things I sent you to the forum, an auction house for firearms in Rhode Island, contacted me through the forum. They think they can sell it for 5,000 from their experts there. Do you think they are b.s.ing me then?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was caregiver to my dad. Unable to work at the end because I was needed full time. He had cancer. I hesitated to even pay for this, but I have to try and find out as he left me this and it will help me get up and running. But need to do as well as possible without being taken. Thank you for your help.

Unless there is something that I'm missing, I don't see how they can get $5,000 for that gun, but if it is a legitimate auction company, give them a shot. That is a nice amount!

Hello again...I see that this question is still open. Is there anything further that you need?