ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms appraiser & expert
30945867

Second opinion] I have a Savage 1899 C in .303 caliber.

Customer Question

Second opinion] Hi! I have a Savage 1899 C in .303 caliber. Rifle was made in 1904 with 85% original bluing. Half octagon / half round barrel that is 26" in length. Straight grip with a crescent butt. I just discovered that the serial number for the forearm doesn't match the rest of the rifle. What does that do to the value of this gun?
JA: The Firearms Appraiser will get you a firearm appraisal. Is there anything else important you think the Firearms Appraiser should know?
Customer: Stock is in good condition...one or two dings in the stock. A 1 inch crack in the stock behind the tang.
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  ProShooter replied 4 months ago.
Hi and thanks for your question. Let me gather my references and I'll return shortly...

Hi again....sorry for the delay in replying. I had some internet connectivity issues that now appear to be resolved. Let me first give you the normal values for your gun....

If you are new to Just Answer, please read first: Once you have read the answer below, you will be prompted to provide a positive rating (on your screen now with the stars) for my efforts in answering your question. Please understand that this positive rating is how the website compensates me for my work on your question.

The rating that you give is for my efforts, not the specific answer itself. Sometimes we give a good effort but must deliver bad news, like a low value for your firearm. We don’t like having to do that, but we want to provide you with an honest answer nonetheless. This rating must be completed by you in order to close the question out. If you have a follow-up question, you can still reply back to me and I’ll be happy to assist you further. Please reply back and ask any additional questions that you have before you consider leaving a negative rating.
.

Answer:

The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com..
.

Manufacturer/Trademark – Savage Arms

Model/configuration – Model 1899C, .303 Savage caliber
Serial number - unknown (2 different, according to customer)

Year of manufacture - 1904 (according to customer)
Estimated Value Range –see below

.

For your firearm, the following current values apply (from the Blue Book of Gun Values). Retail prices may be 20% higher. Percentages are based on the amount of original finish on the gun, and its operational ability.

.

New in box/perfect --100% condition - $1,800

Mint condition --------98% condition - $1,600

Excellent condition -- 95% condition - $1,350

Very Good+ condition -- 90% condition- $1,200

Very Good condition ------ 80% condition - $1,000

Good+ condition ------------70% condition - $850

Good condition --------------60% condition - $750
.

Now, as to the serial number issue. To a true collector, gun's have their highest desirability when they are 100% original. It sounds as if the forearm was cracked and replaced with a factory correct forearm. That is not unusual. A collector may value the gun with a reduction of approximately 20-40% for a mismatched serial number. As a general rule, I like to say a drop of 2 grades. so a gun in 90% ($1,200) condition would then be valued at 70% ($850). Does that make sense? Anything else that I can do for you?
.

.

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2017 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Did you need anything further from me on this question?

Just checking back with you - I haven't heard back from you if you need anything further on this?

Expert:  ProShooter replied 3 months ago.

Hello again....did you need anything more on this?