Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.
47070024

My 1953 38special m13 38 cal us airforce 6shot c261577 is

Customer Question

my 1953 38special m13 38 cal us airforce 6shot c261577 is worth how much
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** am reviewing your question and will provide an answer or a request for more information shortly.

That is the Aircrewman revolver (USAF Model M-13), which has a 2-inch barrel, an alloy frame with a blue anodized finish, the topstrap reads "Revolver, Lightweight, M13". They were made in the 1950s. Your particular gun was made in 1953.

Here's the deal: while 4,000 or so were made, most of those guns were destroyed by the government because of problems with the alloy cylinder, so they are very rare. Rare enough that the Blue Book and the 2016 Standard Catalog of Firearms do not list values for them! There is the "Baby Aircrewman", which is also extremely rare and it's values is north of $5,000 for one with 98% of the original finish.

You are going to need to take that gun to a local auction house that specializes in firearms to get a "hands on" appraisal. They will make sure all the serial numbers on the parts match and can determine the condition of the gun's finish. (Many were repaired by military armorers who interchanged parts, especially cylinders.)

I hope this helps and congratulations on having such a rare gun!

Philip

If you are satisfied with my answer on your Aircrewman revolver, please use the button provided to rate my answer. That will close out the question and also allow me to be paid - thanks!

Philip

Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 10 months ago.

Did you have any more questions on that revolver?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
0.what is a baby aircrewman ,I believe you can not give me a price with out viewing firearm in person????

The Baby Aircrewman is built on a J-frame, while the Aircrewman is built on the larger K-frame. The Baby Aircrewman was only made from 1951 to 1952.

Here are the prices for the Baby Aircrewman based on the amount of the original finish left on the gun and the gun being in working order:

100% - $--
98% - $5,200
95% - $4,600
90% - $4,075
80% - $3,600
70% - $2,950
60% - $2,300

50% - $1,600
40% - $1,450
30% - $1,300
20% - $1,200
10% - $1,100

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what is a j frame or k frame,How do I know if I have one I saw a P on mine.

Both models have a "P" proof mark on them, so that doesn't help.

The "C" prefix number you provided is in the correct range for the regular Aircrewman, not the Baby Aircrewman.