Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.
47070024

How is the flash der permanently attached, How do you

Customer Question

how is the flash hider permanently attached
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: How do you permanently attach the flash hider so not to run afoul of NFA on SBR
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Firearms Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing me.

To permanently attach a flash hider to make a barrel at least 16 inches and legal as a non-NFA firearm, the flash hider must be welded using full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1,100 degrees Fahrenheit) silver soldering, or blind pinning (pin that doesn't go through on both sides) with the pin head welded over.

Barrel length is measured by closing the action on the unloaded weapon and inserting a dowel until it rests against the breach face. The rod is then marked at the end of the flash hider and the rod measured.

I hope this helps.

Philip

If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate my answer using the button provided. That will close out the question and allow me to be paid. Thanks!

Philip