Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.
47070024

A friend of mine has a SavageS# 3552 bolt action w/ peep

Customer Question

A friend of mine has a Savage(###) ###-####S# ***** bolt action w/ peep sight. It looks new. He doesn't remember what he paid for it. I want to buy it but don't know what it is worth. I want to be fair and offer what it is worth. The stock goes all the way to the front end. The stock is decoratively checkered
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for using Blue Book, and Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.

Are there any other markings on that gun to help identify which model it is?

When you say the stock goes all the way to the front, do you mean almost to the muzzle of the rifle? If not, does it look like this:

Link to photo

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't look like the photo.The stock goes all the way to the end of the barrel

Ok - that's interesting.

1. And that is the stock that came with the gun and not a third-party replacement?

2. Can you attach some photos of the gun (full length, both sides)?

3. An other markings on the gun?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It looks like the stock came with the rifle. It also has a sling attached. I don't have photos. On the barrel it is marked Savage High Pressure Steel and it is marked 3552 on the metal of larger diameter
adjacent to the barrel.

OK - let me look at my references again. Almost all the Savages with a full Mannlicher stock are chambered in .22.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Interesting! I look forward to you results.

The only thing throwing me is the full-length stock. Is there anyway you can get some pictures of the gun from your friend showing both sides, full length? I'm just not finding a Savage that matches your description. Perhaps a subtlety in the photo will me identify the model.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get some photos. I am wondering if it isn't a competition rifle. There use to be german shooting club competitions in the Milwaukee early in the20th century. It doesn't look like a hunting rifle, although that is what the present owner used it for years ago. Will be in touch.
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 1 year ago.

Could well be. Whenever you are ready, send the photos and we'll pick up the hunt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are photos.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think of the photos?

Just got in - let me see what I can find.

That has got to be a Savage Model 1920-26 rifle, but with a Mannlicher stock. I'm not sure if it was a special order or if it was an aftermarket stock.

August 21, 2015

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Manufacturer/Trademark – Savage

Model/configuration – Model 1920-26 bolt-action rifle, .250-3000 Savage cal., with 24 inch bbl., and blue finish.

Additional Information – Lyman aperture sight, Mfg. 1926-31.

Value Range (based on percentage of original finish on the gun and in working order):

100% - $990
98% - $855
95% - $745
90% - $635
80% - $550
70% - $495
60% - $440

I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.

For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Sincerely,

Philip

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.

The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.

All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2015 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate my answer so the question will close out and I can also get paid - thanks!

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions