Tom
Tom, Associate Degree
Experience:  Firearms appraiser.
47830436

Good grief! I've been online trying to find out a

Customer Question

Good grief! I've been online for hours trying to find out a model number and where that number is ***** on my antique gun. I don't know where to look for the serial number either. I inherited two guns from relatives in Appalachia ( West Virginia).
One gun,a rifle, has a plate on it that reads "Remington Arms Company Llion,NY,
"PAT May 3 ? May? June ?? Nov12 ???? Dec24th 1874
Dec31st 18?? Sept9 1873. Jan 12th, March 18th 1874. The gun is 46in long. I cannot find any info or pictures to help me.
A second gun is a Winchester model 12-12 GA.-2 3/4 CHAM Full. Serial #1226983
Can you help? Both guns are dirty. Should I take them to a cleaner? How do
I find someone I can trust.
I totally admit that I'm out of my field here and would appreciate any advice you can give.
Thank you for your time.
Deb Carey
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using Blue Book, and Just Answer!My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.Are you trying to get the value of those guns or simply identify them? If you rub some chalk on the markings, that will probably make them more readable. Those patent dates are useful - see if you can fill in some of the blanks in the patent dates.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure if that came through so I'll send it again. I will most likely need appraisal value to get them on an insurance policy.
OK - that's what I thought. Let me see what I can do with those partial patent dates on the first gun. I might need you to try the chalk, but not sure yet. Back shortly.
No, those patent dates are missing too much information and some of it I suspect may not be correct.You could try the chalk trick to make the numbers stand out (and perhaps use a magnifying glass) or you could attach some photos of the gun showing both sides and one of the markings and I can work with that. Meanwhile, I work on the second gun.
On the Winchester, is the barrel simply round or is there a flat piece of metal on top of the barrel (called a "rib"). If there is a flat piece, is it solid or are there slits cut into the side of it?

Related Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals Questions