Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals

For Blue Book of Guns firearms appraisals, ask an Expert

Good afternoon, my name is, about 18 years ago

Customer Question
Good afternoon, my name is...

Good afternoon, my name is ***** ***** 18 years ago I was planning to go on a safari to Africa and I had three custom guns made for the trip that was unfortunately cancelled due to serious illness in the family. These custom guns were made by the gun maker *****who was the protege of world renowned gunmaker ******* The three rifles I purchased were never used except at the range to site them in. They are a .270, .300 Win Mag, and a .375 H&H Mag. They are all handmade with Circassian Walnut and all three are fitted with Ziess Scopes. When I originally purchased the rifles they were $7,000 each. I spoke to Joe a month ago and he told me to reproduce these guns today it would cost $18,000 each without scopes. These are all in mint condition. I have pictures if you would like to view them. Thank you for your expertise and I look forward to your response. Best regards, ***** *****

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
6/12/2015
Firearms Expert: Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree replied 2 years ago
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree
Thank you for using Blue Book and Just Answer!My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.The Blue Book does not list pricing for custom guns, such as those three you have, because values can vary so widely based on exactly what was customized. Mr. Smithson's rifles are hard to even find for sale in on-line auctions. Mr. Smithson has a reputation for his excellent work on firearms. Blue Book suggests in such cases to contact the manufacturer for pricing. Using Mr. Smithson's pricing on what he would charge today for guns similar to what you have now (not surprising for such guns), and since your guns have been shot, you might consider asking around $16,000 to $17,000 each with the scopes. The beauty of your position with those rifles, is that compared to the values today, you got them for a song and have plenty of room for maneuvering. I hope this helps. Philip
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Associate Degree