Bill
Bill, Gunsmith
Experience:  Master machinist/tool and die maker, gunsmith, firearms appraiser.
9353784

I just received my book today and tried to look up

Customer Question

Hello , I just received my book today and tried to look up my Colt M16 ser # ***** 016732 and it was not in there. Can you please give me some information on this rifle ?
Category: Blue Book of Guns, Firearms Appraisals
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service.
Does this description match your rifle?
.223 Rem. cal., GIO, flat-top upper receiver for scope mounting, heavy 20 in. H-Bar barrel with 1:7 twist, quick detachable carry handle with a 600-meter rear sighting system, fixed buttstock. 8 lbs.
Thanks,
Bill
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
The reason I asked you if that description I gave you matched your rifle is because it could be one of two models with the serial number prefix of "MH". Serial Number – A serial number with a prefix of MH indicates MATCH H-BAR (R6601). However, it also could be a Delta H-Bar (R6601DH) with the serial number prefix of "MH". So I've decided to give you info on both...both were made between 1987 and 1991. From the descriptions you should be able to identify it.
MATCH H-BAR (R6601) -
GIO, heavy 20 in. H-Bar barrel with 1:7 twist, fixed buttstock. 8 lbs.
Delta H-Bar (R6601DH) -
similar to R6601, except has 3-9x rubber armored variable scope, removable cheekpiece, adj. scope mount, black leather sling, test range selected for its accuracy, aluminum transport case.
The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com.
Manufacturer/Trademark - COLT'S MANUFACTURING COMPANY, LLC
Model/Configuration - MATCH H-BAR (R6601) or Delta H-Bar (R6601DH)
Estimated Value Range -
MATCH H-BAR (R6601) -
100%: $1750
98%: $1600
95%: $1450
90%: $1300
80%: $1150
Delta H-Bar (R6601DH) -
100%: $2450
98%: $2300
95%: $2150
90%: $2000
80%: $1850
Serial numbers MH086020 and below are pre-ban. Mfg. 1987-91.
I trust that this info will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service. For other firearms related info, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com.
This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of appraisal. the value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal fir retail or wholesale purposes.
The info and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values, my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the U.S., firearms auctions, and through various online sites.
The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into the account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.
All info compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2012 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No that does not describe my rifle, it does not have a flat top mount for a scope, it has a one piece fixed handle receiver . It is 39.5 inches in overall length and weighs 8 lbs. On the top of the barrel forward near the front sight it says : C MP 556 NATO 1/7 HBAR . On the left side of the receiver it says : COLT SPORTER MATCH HBAR CAL. .223 ser. 016732 and of course over the trigger it says : COLT MFG CO INC HARTFORD CONN ---------------USA------------ does this help , there is only one other option and that is to email a picture. Based on the ser # ***** belive this is a circa 1970's M16 ........please help me identify this rifle. Thank You.
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
That works, thanks.
The serial number with the prefix of MH dictates it being made between 1987 and 1991. However if it does not have the prefix of MH then it may have been made in the 70's.
How long is the barrel?
Thanks,
Bill
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From the receiver to the end of the muzzle it is 21 inches , from the end of the forward grip to the muzzle including the forward sight it is 8.5 inches.Thanks ,
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Thanks John.
What you have is exactly what it is on the receiver, A SPORTER MATCH HBAR.
It was made in 1991. I did some more checking and there was no serial number prefix with MH before '87. Everything fits, except that the Blue Book does not list this particular variation of the HBAR. The closest it comes is the SPORTER TARGET (R6551) listing on the AR-15, Pre-Ban,1989-Sept. 11,1994 Mfg. The values are the same as the Match HBAR.
Here are the values and some info from the Standard Catalog of Firearms:
Colt Sporter Match H-Bar (Model #6601 - This 1991 variation of the AR-15 is similar to the Target model but has a 20" heavy barrel chambered for the .223 caliber. This model weighs 8 lbs. and has target type sights adjustable out to 800 meters.
NIB: $1650
Exc.: $1400
Vgood: $1250
Good: $1000