What should I do if my dog ate chocolate cake?

Posted in: 

Q: My Basset Hound, Ross, ate some chocolate cake. He seems to be doing OK and has been playing with our other dog. What do I need to do?

A: Ross would had to have eaten an ounce of milk chocolate (or 1/3 of an ounce of dark chocolate) per pound of body weight to experience the toxic effects of theobromine in chocolate -- agitation, tremors, and seizure. Most chocolate cakes are primarily flour and sugar, so it's unlikely that he'll show any symptoms other than gastrointestinal distress -- vomiting and/or diarrhea -- from eating the unfamiliar food.

If a couple of hours have passed and Ross is doing well, he should continue to do so. You need do nothing special at this point.

-- Answer from Dr. Michael Salkin, a veterinarian on JustAnswer.

Daily Answer is excerpted from the JustAnswer archives and features information provided by a Expert on JustAnswer.

Follow JustAnswer on Twitter or like us on Facebook to get useful daily updates.