Ways to fight unfair actions on student loans

Posted in: 

Q: I have a private student loan, and applied for forbearance while my private loans were being consolidated. I was not delinquent and was preparing to make my first payment. After applying for the forbearance the company (Sallie Mae) claims that I was in default and moved my forbearance back by a month in order to make me repay sooner. I have documentation stating that my first payment was not yet due. What can I do?

A: Sallie Mae's action is unfair and deceptive. You can file a lawsuit against Sallie Mae for unfair and deceptive practice. However, this is easier said than done. It would require more money and a lot of time on your side to go after a big corporation like Sallie Mae. Instead, you can file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Bureau.

You can also file Complaint with your U.S. Representative or U.S. Senator. In addition, you can write to the Chairman of the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education and Pensions ("HELP") about Sallie's Mae unfair and deceptive practice. The HELP Committee deals with student loan issues and can help in putting pressure on Sallie Mae to correctly report your payment history. The current chairman is Senator Tom Harkin, a Democrat from Iowa. Click on this link for contact information of HELP.

-- Answer from Mildred P., an attorney on JustAnswer.

Daily Answer is excerpted from the JustAnswer archives and features information provided by a Expert on JustAnswer.