My cat licked a just-bleached floor. Is she in danger?

Posted in: 

Q: Today my 6-week-old cat licked the floor that I had just mopped with bleach and water. She has since had something to eat and slept, but I'm worried. What should I watch for?

A: If the bleach had done any damage you would see a burn in her mouth, plus she would not be eating. So it sounds like she is fine.

You can give her a tablespoon of cow's milk to coat her stomach against the bleach. The reason people say milk is not good for cats is because large amounts can give them diarrhea. However, a tablespoon will not hurt her. Then feed her as much food as she will take.

-- Answer from Terri R., cat behavior specialist on JustAnswer.

Daily Answer is excerpted from the JustAnswer archives and features information provided by a Expert on JustAnswer.