Five simple tips on how to keep your house warm over winter
Posted in: Home Repair
It’s that time of year again where we all want to keep warm and hibernate. With some simple prep work you can keep your home without breaking the bank.
1) Fixing drafts can save you a small fortune on energy bills. Most of them can be prevented with a few supplies from the hardware store. Remember, you don’t want to eliminate proper ventilation, but rather shore up things like energy-draining windows and door seals. ENERGY STAR windows can save you $126–$465 a year when replacing single-pane windows!
2) Is your home insulated? Your roof is one of your best defenses against winter temperatures. Homes lose a lot of heat through their roofs so insulation goes a long way toward both keeping you comfortable and your heating costs reasonable.
3) Clean out and maintain your gutters. Every year they get clogged with leaves, twigs and other gifts of nature. If you don’t clean them, rain, snow, and ice buildup can cause slow damage to your house. Check fittings when you get them cleaned – a loose gutter can turn into a broken gutter when winter storms come lashing in.
4) Keep mice and other pests out. In colder weather small animals move into houses for warmth and food. Try to seal any outdoor gaps and make sure you don’t leave food or crumbs around. Mice and other small critters can cause a lot of damage to wires and insulation, not to mention, bring diseases into your home.
5) Before it gets cold, stock up on kitty litter and salt to help you get out when snow and ice arrive. Now is a good time to get your car cold weather, too – a jacket, scraper, antifreeze, and boots at minimum. It’s a good idea to have plenty of flashlights and batteries on hand in case you lose power during a winter storm.
Obviously no one can control the weather, but with these simple tips you can be prepared for anything Mother Nature throws at you. From winter-proofing your car to keeping yourself and family warm in the cold, JustAnswer has Experts who can help you 24/7.