My Fischer lovebird is a little lethargic and his feces is runny. When we uncover his aviary this morning, he seemed a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My Fischer lovebird is a little lethargic and his feces is runny.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the lovebird been lethargic? Any changes in his appetite?
Customer: When we uncover his aviary this morning, he seemed a little slow in movement. He's eating and drinking
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: He and his mate only eat seeds from the pet store he was purchased.
JA: And what's the lovebird's name and age?
Customer: Guamuchil and he's around 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He might have gotten hurt while moving in his cage
Answered by Dr. Ben, DVM in 41 mins 2 months ago
imglogo
Dr. Ben, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hello, this is Dr. Ben with JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and will assist you in any way I can! I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Diarrhea in a bird can indication different things such as a gut bacterial overgrowth or sometimes a toxicity. How long has this been going on for?

Customer
This morning I noticed his feces being liquid.
Customer
He was fine yesterday when I covered their aviary.

How is his energy level? Is he still willing to eat or drink?

Customer
He eats and drinks but slowly.
Customer
His energy is low.

Does he seem to be favoring either of his legs? Is he able to fly?

His mate is acting normally?

Customer
His mate is fine. She's behaving normally and chirping.
Customer
He tries to fly but stumbles. He was able to fly from perch to perch but now he's climbing
Is he holding one of his wings like it is injured? The diarrhea makes me think less an injury and something more internally going on
Customer
He's not holding either wing. His legs are fine also.
Customer
I place their aviary outside at a higher level. He seems to be bit more active now.
Customer
If the issue is internal. What do I give him?

Well usually an antibiotic. Metronidazole is a great one for diarrhea because it treats a lot of bad bacteria in the gut

how is he currently acting?

Customer
He's eating right now. He has moving alot more. But his stool is still a bit runny.
ok, as long as his energy is good, you can maybe just monitor and see if the stools firm up. Sometimes probiotics can help with digestive issues. One good habit to be in with birds is to weight them a couple times a week. This can be accomplished by glueing a perch onto a gram scale and having them step up. Any downward trend in weight is the first sign of illness and an indication to see a vet
Customer
Okay, thank you for the advice. I appreciate your help Dr. Ben.

You're very welcome! Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

Customer
Thank you. That was it. You do too.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Ben, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
img
imglogo
Dr. Ben, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.