My cockatiel has a tiny little bald spot on her chest, it’s hard to see at times but it is there. Right now, she preens

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My cockatiel has a tiny little bald spot on her chest, it’s hard to see at times but it is there
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the spot? Has the cockatiel been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: right now, she preens but nothing out of the ordinary
JA: And what's the cockatiel's name and age?
Customer: kove and she’s 4 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nope, thank you
Answered by Jeanne Smith in 1 hour 10 months ago
imglogo
Jeanne Smith
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hi, this is Dr Jeanne Smith.  I just came on line and saw your request.  I'm sorry no one else was able to respond to you sooner.  I'll do my best to help you with home care suggestions and advice for the best course of action.  I'll be reading your question and typing a response for a few minutes.

Are you able to send a photo showing where on her chest you see this? You can attach photos to this conversation.

Birds grow feathers in tracts and there are unfeathered tracts of skin called apterae, also. Sometimes when a bird has bathed or is preening or moving in certain ways the apterae can be seen. There's an apterae down the center of the breast. If the bald patch becomes visible all the time it would mean she has lost some feathers to expose the skin. That can mean she has an infection making her feel itchy. It can be a Candida yeast overgrowth,  giardia, hexamita, or avian gastric yeast  which are common in young cockatiels.  It can also be things like allergies or hypersensitivity to something she's exposed to. So if the bald patch becomes visible all the time you should get her examined by a veterinarian familiar with birds.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jeanne Smith
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jeanne Smith
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.