One of my zebra finches, Gerard, has been ill for some time. At first I thought it might be air-sac mites and he seemed

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: One of my zebra finches, Gerard, has been ill for some time. At first I thought it might be air-sac mites and he seemed to respond somewhat to S76. Now I'm afraid he may have a respiratory problem and I started with Enrotex in his water on Sunday. He currently stays on the bottom of the cage, is usually fluffed up and pitches forward when he tries to walk.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about the mites?
Customer: No
JA: Has the finch vomited recently? Any signs of blood in his stool?
Customer: No vomit or blood. He does have open-beak breathing, his throat moves rapidly but no clicks
JA: And what's the finch's name and age?
Customer: Gerard..I got him from Petco in July 2020.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Answered by T Fisher DVM in 4 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
T Fisher DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hello, my name is***** I have experience and education in exotic/avian medicine in addition to dogs and cats. I am NOT available by phone so you may ignore the request for a phone call if it automatically generates and we will continue the chat via text. I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you.  It may take me a few minutes to respond as I may be typing up a response or helping another concerned pet owner.

Veterinary Practice Laws of my state only allow me to provide general advice regarding your pet’s health condition. I cannot provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications without performing a physical exam on your pet.  I will help you decide if the problem with your pet is something you can manage at home, or if additional diagnostic testing or treatment needs to be performed by a veterinarian.

Gerard sounds like he is in a more dire state with open beak breathing and sitting at the bottom of the cage. There can be other reasons outside of the respiratory tract (enlarged organs or eggs if female, pressing on the respiratory system) or within the respiratory tract: fungal infection, pneumonia, heart disease, cancer. Do you have a veterinarian near you that seems birds on emergency basis?

Customer
Not really

If we can't find out the underlying cause, its just guess work from here. I really feel that he needs medical attention. The best you can do at home is provide a small incubator type set up that is in a quiet area and warm, a part from the medications you have tried. Provide access to his favorite foods near him and keep any perches lower to the ground. Ensure the water bowl is shallow so he cannot drown in it. I worry that without care he may pass at home as birds are very prey animals and tend to show signs of illness only when the disease process is far along.

Customer
I have done those things and he just may be dying....quiet, warm, food low to ground.
Customer
Seeing him suffer is very hard on me

I know how difficult of a time this can be. I don't want to sound insensitive, but I worry he is suffering as well. You may be able to call your nearest vet clinic and at least help him pass along if they aren't comfortable treating birds.

Customer
thank you for your time

I wish you all the best.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
T Fisher DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
T Fisher DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.