I have a female love bird. Since last Thursday she has been vomiting her food. She'll eat a little and her partner (my

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello, I have a female love bird. Since last Thursday she has been vomiting her food. She'll eat a little and her partner (my other male love bird) will try to feed her but she ends up vomiting it out.
JA: Hi there. I'm so sorry the love bird isn't feeling well, but those details will be very helpful for the Expert. Could she have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: We've been feeding her the usual. Her food diet hasn't changed. When we let her out she doesn't eat anything around the house.
JA: What's the love bird's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** I think she's about 3 years old I want to say
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She recently laid eggs that hatched about two weeks ago. This is her third batch.
Answered by Dr. Michael Salkin in 30 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
48+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

I'm sorry to hear about this with Mango.

A bird that bobs its head up and down in a sort of pumping motion, beak open and then a purposeful delivery of partially digested food is regurgitating. This is something they would do to feed offspring or a mate. It’s done by some birds to objects (toys, mirrors, people) they are particularly fond of - especially if they’re in a breeding season, when a bird wants to please their owner and/or is of a nervous temperament. Regurgitation that is unusual enough for you to make note of it like you have, might be a symptom of crop infection/impaction/”sour crop”.

Vomiting is more of a head “flicking” event. The bird will often seem uneasy, pacing or uncomfortable and although the head bobbing might be similar to the regurgitation action, it’s usually more of a shaking and the end result is a very splattered, sticky substance that may or may not include food. When there’s blood showing in the vomitus it may indicate esophageal or proventricular ulcers.

An avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) will take a look into your Mango's mouth as part of a thorough physical examination and is likely to examine a swab of the oral cavity for abnormal numbers of either bacteria, yeast, or parasites. A good exam will also check for changes in the mucous membranes as seen with hypovitaminosis A (a lack of vitamin A in the diet) ulcers, and tumors.

Vomiting is a more serious symptom and seeing a vet as soon as possible is important. Gram-negative bacterial infections are commonly found and often caused by poor sanitation while food handling but there are far too many possible diseases to list here and as in any case of illness, getting it evaluated, diagnosed and treated promptly is best. I would be more comfortable knowing that Mango was examined by an avian vet.

Consider sweet potato, carrot, or squash baby food on a spoon tapped and dabbed on the underside of Mango's upper beak. Show her where the rest of the baby food can be found. Please heat up her environment to 85F so she need not expend excess energy keeping her body temperature up.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Mango's diet consisted of, please?  Seeds should comprise less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin.  Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here:   www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here:   www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard-boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese - yes these low lactose foods are safe, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

There's a good chance that she's protein and calcium deficient after her recent egg laying.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer
The thing is they are not bobbing their head. They shake their head and vomits out the food. I'm confused because their mate eats it and seem completely fine. She doesn't offer it directly to her mate. As in mouth to mouth directly. Mango has been looking very sleepy too. She wasn't like that on her last pregnancy.
Customer
The substance is sticky and included food. They do pace around and look uncomfortable.

Thank you.  She's vomiting which should prompt the attention of an avian vet at your earliest convenience.  Her somnolence (sleepiness) is another sign of "sick bird syndrome" - an array of non specific signs of illness in these birds.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
48+ years of experience
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.