I realise My bird has a bald spot. Lovebird. Lovebird. Just yesterday i saw there look like a tiny hole then i spread it

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi i realise My bird has a bald spot
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. What type of bird are we talking about?
Customer: lovebird
JA: When did you first notice the lovebird was losing feathers?
Customer: lovebird
JA: Is the lovebird's skin bumpy or itchy as well?
Customer: Just yesterday i saw there look like a tiny hole then i spread it out with water to get a clearer view
JA: What's the lovebird's name and age?
Customer: lemon , 5 month old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing else
Answered by The1Caretaker in 17 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
The1Caretaker
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

I'm August Abbott Cert.Avian Specialist; owner BrokenBirds.org. Allow a few minutes to review & respond (please ignore site offers for phone svc)

Also, please note that we experts are not employees of Just Answer, but sort of ‘contractors’ here.  As such, we are not aware of when you posted your question and if there has been a delay, I’m truly sorry.  This is the first I’ve seen this.

-

Where is the bald spot?

-

Is your bird in with any other birds?

Customer
the bald spot is on her wings
Customer
hi, yes i have 4 lb cage tgt, but they dont fight
Customer
how do i send an image

On top part or underneath?  Is she (?) pecking or seeming to over-groom this area?

There should be a paperclip icon on your toolbar for attaching pics

Customer
top part

This can help with attaching pics as well

https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Customer
File attached (2MS17P2)
Customer
File attached (MZ1T7QM)
Customer
send u the image
Customer
do u see it ?
Customer
hello??

I'm finishing up with another customer; please be patient

Something's wrong with the site.  Please be patient

There is something wrong with the site.  I'm trying to get this done - please hang on

Customer
ok
Customer
hi

I'm trying; I swear to you, I"m trying - but more than one sentence won't "GO"

Birds going through a molting season may look ragged and have what appear to be bald spots, but if you see little pin feathers coming in and not being plucked out, chances are you’re not dealing with a self-mutilation behavior, which is really, really good!
---
If you suspect a delayed molt – you need to have your companion checked for hypothyroidism, one very common cause behind this.  Other symptoms you might notice is overall ragged looking feathers or ‘bald spots’ of feather loss.  You might also see lumps and bumps (which would be fatty deposits) on the legs (what would be the upper thigh area) and lower part of the chest, near the vent area and sometimes under the wings.

-

You vet will find some anemia upon blood chem., hypoalbuminemia, hypercholesterolemia, mild leukocytosis, etc..

This can be treated, so don’t worry.

---

A “French Moult” is often seen in smaller birds like parakeets/budgies, though it can occur in other species.   As fledglings, plumage doesn’t come in and stay in, but seems to continuously moult.    Adding some molasses to a small piece of bread is one way to boost vitamins, or offering fresh, dark greens.
---
A “Soft Moult” is a continuous moulting of some feathers.  The feathers often look a bit off, or even greasy, unkempt.   Adjusting UVA/UVB light input is often helpful, ideally in the form of natural sunlight for an hour or more a day; however, a full spectrum artificial light specifically for birds may help.

---

As long as she's eating and making good poops - I don't think this is of great concern.  A vet check up is never a bad idea though.

--

I'm SO sorry for the delay.  I have been trying to get this thru to you for HOURS and it just wouldn't 'go' (publish).   Honestly not my fault. 

Customer
okie thank you so much
Customer
do you have an example image of hypothyroidism in bird

I'm afraid not.  It really doesn't often look different from a severe molt - or any one of a number of other conditions/diseases/disorders/infections.  It's one of those many things that we can't tell just by looking.

--

In fact, always keep in mind that we can rarely tell anything just by looking at our birds -or- by any symptom.   One symptom can apply to multiple issues - including something as simple as sneezing for example.

A sneezing bird may have a bacterial infection or fungal or viral or a combination; or none of these.  It could be allergic to something (out of hundreds of things) - it could be suffering a toxic exposure - it could be imitating a human it once heard or it could have simply figured out how to get attention.

So you see, being the very specialized animal that they are, birds keep secrets!  We have to have a knowledgeable vet in place in order to figure out what any current secret is.

--

Make sense?

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
The1Caretaker
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
The1Caretaker
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.