I have two chickens that are being picked at by the other chickens and now they are having problems walking. Tge other

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have two chickens that are being picked at by the other chickens and now they are having problems walking
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the chicken's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: tge other chickens have been picking out their feathers for a couple weeks so I separated them for about two weeks and now they are having trouble walking
JA: Does anything look different with the chicken's legs/feet?
Customer: no
JA: And what's the chicken's name and age?
Customer: They are rubbing the feathers on their bellies off trying to get around
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: they are Henny and Penny and they are only four months old but they are huge
Answered by Dr. Patsy Fields in 8 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Patsy Fields
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hi there, I am Dr. Fields. I treat chickens and have a flock of my own and I'm sorry to hear Henny and Penny are having problems. What breed are they? Would you be able to send a photo of the problem areas?

Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 10:09:19 PM
Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 10:09:27 PM
Customer
They are California Whites
Customer
They are now having problems walking on one side

These have the appearance of meat birds.

Customer
What does that mean

They are a breed of chicken raised to be eaten for their meat. They are typically processed at a young age (8-12 weeks) They will typically develop leg problems related to their size, as well as heart problems.

Customer
is there anything I can do?

Unfortunately not. I'm so sorry. You could try to restrict their food intake, but that is not likely to make a difference at this point for them. I wish I could give you something to try.

Are you sure these are California White and not Cornish Cross?

Customer
They told me at Tractor Supply when I bought them as chicks that they are Whites
Customer
By looking at photos on line the look like they could be either one. They are super huge

Are these the only two you have?

Customer
I have 3. 1 is fine and the other two are not

Is the other one this large?

Customer
Bigger

Can I see a photo of that one?

Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 10:45:59 PM

Thank you. Do the other two have this same appearance, other than the missing feathers?

Customer
Hi

If this is not related to their rapid growth, the other possibility would be neurologic disorder, and the most common would be Mareks.

Customer
Is there anything to do for that

If there is a veterinarian in your area that will see chickens, it may be best to have one examined to be sure. There is testing that can be done to confirm, but there is no treatment other than supportive care. Since these two are unable to get up and move, I would separate them away from the rest to prevent picking. You could start general supportive care to see how they do. I usually add electrolytes, garlic and raw apple cider vinegar to the drinking water. If they are still on chick feed, I would be sure to switch them to an adult formula now as well.

Customer
Ok

Best of luck to you and the birds!

Customer
Thank you
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Patsy Fields
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Patsy Fields
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.