I have a jenday conure that is very fluffy, her wings are low, she's twitching, and bobbing her head, A couple minutes,

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a jenday conure that is very fluffy, her wings are low, she's twitching, and bobbing her head
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Jenday Conure's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: A couple minutes
JA: What environment do you keep the Jenday Conure in? Does she interact with other pets or animals?
Customer: She was in her cage, she is around cats and dogs
JA: And what's the Jenday Conure's name and age?
Customer: Juniper, she is 2
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Answered by DrNickiDVM in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DrNickiDVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hello, my name is***** and I'm an emergency veterinarian. I'm here to provide you with excellent service. Kindly allow me a moment to review your question.

Thank you for your patience! I’m very sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues, but I appreciate you reaching out to us for assistance. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly. I’m so sorry Juniper is not well. You must be so worried. I have a few questions I will ask below that will help me to understand what could be going on with her.

• Were you with her when this started? Had she been 100% normal and then suddenly started doing this?
  • Does she fly out of the cage sometimes?
  • Has Juniper been eating?

Please be aware I am a licensed veterinarian, but I am not your pet’s veterinarian and cannot examine your pet, so I cannot legally provide you with any specific veterinary medical advice such as diagnosis or prescribing medication. However, I can generally speak to help you understand resources that may help you and advise you to seek medical attention.

Customer
I'm not entirely sure, my parents have been watching her while my husband and I move. I came back to pick her up today, I knew something was wrong as soon as I saw her. She's clinging to my chest and nodding off until she twitches or bobs her head

I'm sorry. Did you ask your parents if they noticed this behavior prior to just now?

Has she been eating?

Does she seem thin and bony, if you feel her breast bone?

Customer
She has been eating, they haven't noticed her acting strange, and she is slightly bony in comparison to normal
Customer
Her crop seems empty

At their house, is she flying outside the cage? What about when she is at your house?

Could the animals be stressing her out?

Customer
She flew into a tree last week and hung out for a couple hours but has been normal since. She's grown up with these animals and is usually very confident and calm around them

Was this tree outside?

Customer
It was

Could she have bumped her head?

Does she normally go outside?

Customer
No she landed gently. She is used to hanging out outside on a perch
Customer
She is eating some food right now but still seems woozy

The twitching and woozy behavior is definitely concerning.

What do you mean she has not been right since last week? This is before she stayed at your relatives'? What were her symptoms?

Customer
No she has been fine, completely normal until today. Nothing has changed in her routine, she hasn't been exposed to anything outside of her routine. She has been with my parents for a month and her behavior has been normal until today

I am sorry I thought you said she's not been right since then.

If she's twitching and woozy I'd worry about either metal toxicity if she's chewing on things like people's jewelry or anything metallic, head trauma, or a disease such as kidney or liver disease.

Customer
No worries! Thank you, I'm trying to reach out to an avian clinic but they're all closed today. I'm bringing her home to a new province today so I'll stop at a clinic that's open along the way

Would you consider an emergency hospital if there is a vet there that sees exotics?

Customer
I would!

If you want to give me your zip code or where you think you'll be driving through, I cam get you a list but you'll have to call and see if they see exotics. Not all vets do.

Customer
That would be wonderful thank you. I live in a Canada, im driving from Ontario to New Brunswick today so anywhere along the way works. My postal code is n1s 2t1

I will see what I can find, please give me a few minutes.

Customer
Thank you so much

You're welcome.

Are you able to name some cities or give zip codes along the route? It looks like you've got a long ride ahead of you!

Customer
I can! I'll be driving through Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and edmonston

I will check those, one moment.

Veterinary Emergency Clinic,*****Suite 117, Toronto, ON M4W 3C7, Canada, +14169202002

Veterinary Emergency Hospital of West Toronto,***** Etobicoke, ON M8Z 2R4, Canada, +14162393453

Toronto Veterinary Emergency Hospital,***** Scarborough, ON M1R 3B1, Canada, +14162478387

Toronto Animal Health Partners Emergency and Specialty Hospital,***** North York, ON M3B 2R2, Canada, +14163807400

Central Toronto Veterinary Referral Clinic,*****W, York, ON M6C 2C9, Canada, +14167844444

Would you want to start here?

It'll be word of mouth who sees birds.

Let me know if you want me to check the other cities.

Customer
That's perfect, thank you

You're welcome. I sure hope one of them does see birds. Do you have any more questions for me today?

Customer
No that was everything, thank you so much!

You're welcome. I am happy to help. I hope Juniper is feeling better soon. I sure wish you both all the best. I am available if you have follow-up questions so do not hesitate. Thanks for using our service.

Warmly,

Dr. Nicki

Customer
Thank you so much! You were a great help!

You're welcome, I hope I have been. Good luck on your drive.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DrNickiDVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DrNickiDVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.